1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I want a Jazz Bass to sound like a Music Man

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EXKid, Oct 1, 2008.

1. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    No J pu or preamp is going to give you an MM sound. You need a MM type pu (Seymour Duncan?) to get that sound.

Several builders make J's with a MM pu.

In your case I'd either modify one of your J copies' bodies and install MM type pu and electronics, or get a J body from Warmoth or similar, routed for a MM pu.

2. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Yes, crazy idea, don't do it please the necks won't fit if you exchange them.

The Dimarzio J pickups are definitely more agresive than regular j pups and have more midrange bite, it will get you closer to what you want but it won't make a jazz sound like Ray.

I guess the perfect bass for you is a Sterling but that's something to consider for the future.

3. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    The OP is not saying that he wants the Jazz to sound like an MM; just saying it doesn't sound as good to his ears.

I recommend:

1-Change the pickups. A '75 Jazz might have tired pickups that are weak and microphonic. If you want a powerful, punchy sound, go for Dimarzio J pickups.

2-Then, try an outboard preamp, like an Aguilar (Tone Hammer, or a used DB 924) or Sadowsky, before you modify the bass and install an inboard preamp.

If those two things doesn't do it, then just get something else.

4. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    That's what I said, Crazy lol.
    How about a crazier idea.....
    Sand down the back of your Stingray's neck till it fits your hands better.

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

Did you read the title of the thread?

6. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    I want a musicman to sound like a jazz bass :D

This thread delivers.................

7. Wow, I just wasted like 5 minutes reading this thread.

8. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    This shows how much people likes to give opinions even before knowing what the OP wants to know :smug:

9. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Okay, kill me, but after reading the whole orignal post, I thought that what the OP is really trying to say is that the Jazz don't sound as good as the MM, and I provided some suggestions.

:meh:

10. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Checkout some Nordstrand j-style pups; they dramatically change the tone of a J-bass.

11. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    You're like me. That means EB designed the Sterling just for you.

Seriously though, try a Sterling.

12. EXKid

EXKid

Aug 10, 2008
    Thanks for the help. I think that I'm gonna try out the Model j's first. If that get me close, I can add a pre-amp for signal strength.

My band btw if anyone is interested.

www.huskyrock.com
    www.myspace.com/huskyrock