Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i want a light, woody soundin' bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iloveloosey, Sep 26, 2000.

1. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    what does anyone suggest, besides a warwick? doesn't the "graceland" guy use washburns now?

2. Warwicks are hardly light! IME, they're some of the heaviest basses around.
    The Carl Thompson I recently picked up is extremely light and woody-sounding. (Huh huh.. umm.. I said "woody). But they're hard to find used, and a new one will run you $4000.
    Hmm.. how 'bout one of those Peavey Cirrus basses?

3. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    Hey Dave, did you ever get a chance to post any pix of your refurbished CT? I'm very envious.

4. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    that's why i said "besides"

i can't afford a new carl thompson, and the chances of finding one like you did are kinda nil

thought about the cirrus, but it doesn't come lefthanded

(huh huh, i said, "come lefthanded")

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    "The "Graceland" guy"'s name is Bakithi Kumalo (not that hard to learn, c'mon!) and he played a Washburn before he was with Paul Simon. Not by choice, mind you. A decent instrument is hard to come by where he's from and that's why he was glad he had that Bantam bass.

Will C.:cool:

6. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    and what does he play now?

7. The tone you are looking for is a combination of a lot of things, body and neck wood, fretboard material, strings, pickups, YOUR fingers and probably a couple of others. I doubt that you will get a good idea of what meets your ears criteria strictly from peoples recommendations. For instance there is every kind of Fender player out here and they all have a story of playing a "perfect, light & woody" Fender bass. Now we have a lot of these but it is the individual bass and it's individual characteristics that make the sound. You are best served to get out there and start playing everything you can get your hands on to find what you're looking for. You might find it in a low priced Peavey or a high priced Carl Thompson. They are out there in every price range and quality.

8. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    I think Bakhiti mostly plays a Washburn acoustic these days. On Graceland he played a fretless electric bass (and blew Paul Simon away).

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I believe Bakithi is playing Warwick 5's now, as far as electrics. I've seen him in Washburn ads, but only for the acoustic stuff.

10. Try a Bassline. They're German. I don't know where you live, but if you have the chance, try them. They're REALLY light.

11. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
  12. My views on bass weight is that it is just about last on my priorities list. Sound and looks are far above weight. If you have a really heavy bass you'll adapt. I'm sure you could use the excercise anyways.

Kenan Sugar O'Brien
    The Sound of the Police

13. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Rick Turner Electroline is a light bass (under 8lbs), with a beautiful, woody tone, especially great as a fretless. Check it out.

14. Try a cheap Danelectro Longhorn. I know most of you guys spend more money on freaking pickups than this entire bass costs, but it has a cool sound, and with a few upgrades, would be sweet. It sounds woody as hell to me. I think the newest ones have better tuners and bridge, which are the problems with the ones I've seen in person.

Chris