Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want a little head, part deux...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Oct 20, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I want to do my fair share to support the sagging world economy. :D

I'm considering picking up the small head that I was originally going to buy last year before I was led astray into premap/poweramp country. No, I'm not abandoning my RBI/Carvin rig - I'm just looking for something lower powered and more portable for use with one or both of my Bag End 15s. (He/she who dies/reincarnates with the most toys wins!)

I'm thinking 300W~400W at 4 Ohms, light in weight and small in size (not full rack width). More power is better within this size constraint. I'm in no hurry to buy right now, but want a goal.

These are the ones I can think of to check out, in no particular order:

Eden WT400
    Eden Time Traveler
    Mesa Walkabout
    EA iAmp 350
    EA iAmp 800 (bigger than I'd want, but...)
    Ampeg PB-250
    Ampeg PB-800
    Clarus 1
    Clarus 2
    Walter Woods (yeah, right)

I'd prefer Speakon outputs, which I know some of the above do not have. However, that's negotiable for the right rig.

Any others? Comments on the above?

2. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    Munji : This one is for you!! :D

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Indeed. Eden WT-400. Big surprise, eh?

4. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    What kind of tone are you looking for?

You could devide those into two basic groups the uncolored, AI,EA,WW and the colored Eden,Mesa,Ampeg(I assume I dont know those models). The AI is only 200 watts at 4 ohms so I'd stay away from that. As you probally know woods are pricey so...

I would say

Wt400 or EA 350 depending on the tone your after (one argument goes in the Iamps way is while it makes 350 rms it makes 1200 peak vrs the wt's 800 peak).

Personally Id go for the I amp But I play upright bass as well as bass guitar.

AJ

5. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Ok so I read your profile (mabye I should do that first) going by the Tones of the players you admire I'd say get a wt400

AJ

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I agree, there's a lot of apples vs. oranges vs. cauliflower in my list of prospective heads. But, I want to go into this with no pre-conceived notions - I want to pick mostly with my ears, and a little bit with my wallet.

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Eden WT-400: great tubey old-school sound, ideal for rock and R&B. Good complement for any passive axe. Kinda pricey new, but a decent value at around $500-600 used.

Mesa Walkabout: similar to the WT-400, but without the para-EQ and with slightly less power. This is probably the best value of the bunch. Like the WT, not the cleanest thing.

EA-350: the cleanest thing. Super accurate, but enough versatility in the EQ to hide less-than-stellar technique/extraneous noise. The best and most versatile of the bunch, but also the most expensive.

Clarus: the cleanest thing under 10 lbs. The sexiest little box on the market, but keep in mind that it only delivers about 220W into 4 ohms. It's EQ isn't super-versatile either, so if you want tubey stuff, this ain't it (or buy a sansamp to put in front of it).

EA-800: would be the ne plus ultra, but currently is AWOL. Is this thing ever coming out?

No opinion on the others.

8. Buy the Clarus if you're looking for super-pure tone for jazz or fusion. Otherwise, head to Eden or Mesa-land.