Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want a MTD!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grooveguru, May 8, 2003.

1. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I know that this would be the "One". Willing to trade a Brand New Mint Roscoe LG 3005!

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i have one for sale, but its a little bit more $ than the Rosce- wanna see?

3. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Giddy Up!

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    here you go- a mint used one..
    [​IMG]

5. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    No Wenge:( How much anyhow?

6. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I'm looking for more growl and definition than the Roscoe. Closest I've come is a Warwick Stage II

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    more definiton than a Roscoe???
    sorry, bro- no wenge- ill pm you the price- peace, Adrian

8. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Have you talked to Gard?

9. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I e-mailed him but haven't heard back yet. Gard are you out there???

10. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    Who doesn't????:rolleyes: :D

11. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    But the difference is I will have one! Maybe (Crosses fingers)

12. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002

Good luck. I fell in love with a Zebrawood one that just went on Ebay. Someone here bought it(can't remember who.....)

13. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that you're not that happy with the Roscoe. You got yours just before I got mine. I'm still playing with the controls, but I'm happy with the sound I have. I love the MTDs also, but after playing both, I bought the Roscoe for sound and playability. I didn't want the strings as far appart as they are on the MTD. Price wasn't an issue with me. If I had decided on the MTD, I would have waited a little longer.

I would definitely talk to Gard before you do anything. I'm not trying to take business away from you Adrian, but I'm sure Gard and the Beave would do right by you.

Whatever your desision, you're the one who has to play the instrument. That's why these bass luthiers all continue to stay in business. Diversity is good.

14. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Bassmanbob
    no worries- i was just showing one that showed up here a couple of days ago- no offense taken;)

15. cliff is god.

cliff is god.

Apr 28, 2003
    I might be getting a MTD kingston

16. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I'll second AG's "more definition than a Roscoe?" comment. They are some of the most defined basses I've heard (I've had 3, down to 1 now). I've found the 18v. Bart pre-amp equipped Roscoes can get plenty growly as well. I've got a fretless 535 I'd gladly trade for the right fretless Roscoe. Nothing wrong with the 535, and no knock against them at all. IMO, Roscoes have a little thicker "piano wire" tone that pleases my ear a little more, and I find the B a little tighter.

17. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Could be my settings although I don't think so.

18. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Grooveguru:

Considering that your three week old instrument is now considered used. I'd hold on to it if I were you, and play with the settings. I don't know what you had before, but if it's radically different, you may need to get used to the new sound. If you still don't like it, you can sell it for the same price that you could get for it today. But if you sell it right away, you may eventually regret the quick move. My $0.02.

Good luck no matter what your next move is. It can be confusing desiding between a considerable number of high end basses. I know I was confused about what I wanted for a while.

19. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Ive been confused about what I want since I was about 8. :)

20. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    Have you tried out 535's to make sure they have what you're looking for (growl-wise)?

I've had two 535's, one was wenge/wenge and the other was wenge/maple. They are incredible basses, but I wouldn't describe them as having a lot of 'growl'.

I have my first Roscoe on the way from Adrian, currently at Keith's for a checkup. I'll be able to give a better comparison after I play it ;)

In general, for growl you want to go heavy on the bridge pickup (possibly 100% bridge). Play the strings closer to the bridge. You'll need to decide whether to boost the bass all the way or not, then try different amounts of mids to see if you can nail what you're looking for. You have probably tried all this, but others may benefit.

The two best basses I've played for that low mid growl are a Lull M5 Jazz and a Pedulla Thunderbass (with Thunderguts).