Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want a multieffects.......

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by slapper3, Jul 9, 2001.

1. slapper3

slapper3

Jan 13, 2001
    I Want a multi effects pedal and I was thinkin about the Zoom 506 or whatever....is it good.....and Also I saw no expression pedal....What's that all about?!?! Do i have to buy one and hook it in or somethin! CAn I use my wah for other effects that are needed on the zoom.....does the zoom even have extra effects that need an expression pedal? Am I asking way too many questions?

2. i owned the zoom 506 and at first i loved it. It opened my eyes to a lot of new cool crazy effects that i later found out i had absoulely no use for. Then i started to realize that the effects i did have use for were very very low quality not to mention this incredible amount of background noise.
    To answer your questions... thre are some effects that you can use an expression pedal for (need to pay extra $$$) a VERY few amount of effects including a very very "plastic" sounding wah and (maybe one of the only decent effects) a whammy type of pitch shifter. The chorus and flanger were ok on it and the reverb was cool but who needs reverb on bass??? I started to become very dissapointed in the rest of the effects and eventually gave the unit to my singer so he could use the reverb and chorus (its funny to hear him sing through the auto wah and synth). I dont recomment it and cant say i really recommend any multi-effect unit because they usually do one thing good and the rest is crap. I suggest buying one or two higher quality effects that you can really use (the boss bass line is surprisingly good and rather cheap) and add on as you need them.

3. PeninaD

PeninaD

May 26, 2001
    PA
    I'm pretty new to bass, am no where near the point of using effect pedals, or multi-effect boards, but I look around anyway. Might learn something...or catch an excellent sale.
    Interesting thing I've noticed. I see ton's of 'like-new', 'lightly used', etc Zoom 506II for sale, but so far only 1 Zoom 708. I have to ask myself, "Self, why are so many people giving up their 506IIs????"
    HMMMM....

4. Zoom is nice..
    Korg is god.

Korg AX1B, very nice pedal for about 100 - 120 dollar ( varies per dealer )

sounds WAY better than Zoom 506 ( dunno about the 506 II )

5. mattg

mattg

Jul 15, 2001
    winchester
    I have both a zoom 506ii and a zoom bfx708and the bfx 708 is in a totally different league-it is way better, so it's worth spending the extra money and getting-
    6 second sampler
    drum machine
    built in expression pedal
    better tuner
    better display (actually says what the effect does, as well as a4 etc.)
    more effects
    more patches
    easier to edit effects mid song
    and it is generally a much better pedal for only about $50 more

so my advice is get the bfx 708 and you will be happy for ages!

6. PeninaD

PeninaD

May 26, 2001
    PA
    Thanks MattG....you know, I actually bid and won on the Zoom 708 @ e-bay....$81 ...not too shabby.
    Figured even though I am too new to be using effects now, the drum machine and sampler might be a big help in studying/practicing, so I jumped at it.
    I am still seeing alot of Boss 506 and 506II going up for auction and sale every day, but so far only 1 other Boss 708....so I take it as a sign I went for a better regarded product.