I want a new 6-string any suggestions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sk8terguy316, May 18, 2005.

1. What are some good All-around 6 string basses? I want them to be good for fingerstyle(rock) tab AND slap I was inspired when I heard Glass Prison-Dream theater and I want a -string that can be tapped,slapped,and,fingered. Thank you for all responses I dont really care price range just not too high I was looking at the Brize Prestige Z is that good for a 1st 6-string bass
  2. i've heard that the Warmoth 6 string Gecko bass is pretty good..... i'm lookin to get me one before too long..... anyway, hope i was some help.... www.warmoth.com
  3. Fatbasstard

May 15, 2005
    That gecko is pretty sweet, I would also recomend the ibanez SR506.
  4. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    yeah sr506 would be the go
  5. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Another entry level 6's to consider:

-Peavey Fury 6. Very good bass. It looks, feels, and sounds like a much more expensive bass. Great electronics.

+1 on the SR506.

I would NOT recommend the Samick Fairlane in this case, because the string spacing is waaaaaay too tight for slap.
  6. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Brice's are cool, check into the Yamaha TRB6's as well. Look for some used stuff, lots of good buys .......
  7. JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003

Personally, I'm in the same boat as you are.

I've read many good things about the Dean Q6 basses. Spacing is not as wide as others, but quality is mentioned to be very good and is a nice bass.

I'd like to try one in person and I'll spend some time searching, but it's as good as my Ibanez Ex (Yes, I know, somewhat of an oxymoron), I'll be more than happy with it.

Now, what color to get? Subject of another post.

8. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Just wondering what you consider to be "just not too high". Do you mean $1,200 not too high, $2,500 not too high, $4,500 not too high or $8,000 not too high?

There are big differences between a $600 bass and a $5,000 bass.
  9. JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    I just found another one,

It's a few hundred more, but I've played several of this brand of bass and if I remember right, all of them played really well. Haven't played a 6 yet.

Schecter Stilletto Studio 6

10. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Here here on that Schecter suggestion. I've never seen a 6, but I've tried the 4 and 5 models and I think they're excellent.

Another bang for buck is the Ibanez BTB 6. It looks and sounds great, has 35" scale, and wide spacing for you slappers. Unless you can blow some serious cash for something a few notches up, I'd say this is yr bass.

Have a look: http://www.bassnw.com/New Standard Basses/ibanez_btb406qmtb_6_st.htm

11. akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    If you want something with a wide string spacing, a Brice Z Bass or Yamaha TRB would be a good bet. Both have 19mm spacing, which is the same as most 4 strings. I think the Ibanez BTB's are pretty close, or at least they look like it when I see them in the store.
  12. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Are you sure yr not thinking of one of the Ibanez SR series basses? Yeah, their string spacing are failry tight. I found the BTBs (I've only tried the 4 and 5s) to be pretty slap friendly.

BTW, What about the RBXJM2 John Myung signature 6? This guy digs Dream Theater, right?

13. form52

Mar 17, 2005
    I have both the Ibanez BTB406, and Schecter Stiletto Studio 6.

The Ibanez is a great bass. For how big it is, it's actually not to bad in the weight dept. The string spacing really isn't TOO tight. I've been able to slap pretty well with it. (considering the small amount of slap I do.) Tapping on this bass sounds amazing. Great pickups with an amazing tonal range coming out of the active pre that's in it. Personally.. I think the strings Look closer than they really are. It's a 35" scale so at just a glance it give off the illusion that they are slightly closer than some others. It has a pretty thin neck (5 piece maple/walnut, bolt-on) and feels really comfortable while playing really fast scale and/or chordal progressions. (like John Myung from Dream Theater for example)
    Downside... The input jack with the locking mechanism is annoying. I've had to open it up and adjust the conetion posts in it a few times. It keeps getting loose, which gives you the annoying chord crackling sound, which is GREAT for your amp btw. :mad:

The Schecter Stilletto Studio 6 is probably the best bet for 6'ers under $1200. It has now successfully replaced my Ibanez and Warwick as my main bass. Right up front.. the downside is the weight of the thing. It's mahogony/bubinga body is HEAVY. Get past that and you'll have nothing but great experiences with it.
    Amazingly warm, 'woody' tone. Pounding lows, great mids and screaming highs. This one also has a 5 piece maple/walnut neck, but this one is neck-thru. And, it is also a 35" scale. The string spacing is pretty much the same as the Ibanez. It comes with active EMG HZ soapbars in it and it gets a really nice range of tones from it. Though not as wide of a range as the Ibanez the tones it does produce are far better than the Ibanez.
    I'd have gladly payed twice as much for this bass.
    I can't really say much about it's long term values as I've only had it now for about three weeks. I'm currently thinking about ordering another one that will be fretless. I can say that as of right now the only bass that could take it's place is probably the MTD 635-24.

What's really nice about both of these is that I got them both for under $650.
  14. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Great review! But would you mind sharing how much you paid for the Ibanez and Schecter?

15. form52

Mar 17, 2005
    If want to know Exactly what I paid for the Ibanez I'd have to hunt out the paperwork on it if I still have it. I "Think" I payed about $625 for it w/case. It had a small ding on the back of the body so I talked the guy into throwing in an SKB case for nothing.

The had to order the Schecter from guitar center, I guess they don't make many of the 6's to send out to stores. They are mostly 'per order' basses.
    It only took a few weeks to get here, and I payed about $635 for it.
  16. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Whoops, guess I missed the last line of yr view. Wow, what a sweet deal. I dig the Ibanez BTB but having tried the Schecter Studio, Custom, and Elite 4 and 5s, I'd lean more towards the Schecters. Hell, Schecters are great anyway. I've tried their other bass and guitar models and give the cash, I have to say their some of the sweetest deals around.

17. I was also wondering If you can gelp me Hows the RBX-yamaha John Myung sig for tab,slap,etc
  18. akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    Sorry, I meant to say the string spacing is close to what the Brice and TRB's have, around 19mm.
  19. warnan

Mar 1, 2004
    tune twbt is what u need
  20. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Just yesterday I played the Ibanez SR506 and BTB 6-strings, which are about $600 and $700 new, respectively. The 506 is 34"scale and fairly narrowly spaced, the BTB is 35" and a bit wider. Both played very well had tight low Bs, and possessed bright, even tone throughout their ranges. If I had to choose one I'd probably take the 506 for its light body and smaller neck dimensions.

IMO the best 6 string I've tried under $1500 new is the Peavey Cirrus. Fit/finish and quality of components are remarkable, you could probably get one used for around $900. I owned one for a week but found the neck a little too big for me to play comfortably so I traded it for a fretless Cirrus 5. I tried the old two pickup Yamaha John Myung (2 pickups, 34" scale) and hated it--very heavy, no tone. Most people here on TB seemed to agree. The new version (35" scale, single pickup) might be worth checking out.