Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want a new bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RedGrange, Aug 8, 2005.

1. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    After years of playing "normal production" basses, I'm finally at a point where I can afford what I want (I still don't want to break the bank)... only problem is, I'm not sure what I want.

I know I want a fretted 4 string (I'm tired for 5's, don't want to try a 6), and I'm pretty sure I want a single cut bass, with a pink ivory wood fretboard...

I had my mind set on an Elrick, but after looking at some of the basses other builders made... I'm even more lost.

The short list (maybe in order?)...

Elrick
    Nordstrand
    Eshenbaugh
    R Bass
    Benavente

Where do I begin... I live near Pittsburgh, and I have no clue where I could even play any of these basses.

I love this bass

2. You love that bass buy it

3. out of those mentioned....Benavente single cuts blowme away every time I see them

4. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    You can't go wrong on that list really. No matter what you buy it'll be sweet.

5. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    I know, I know the last thing you need is for a bunch of personal preferences added to your list but your list looks alot like mine did before I went with this guy...

http://www.stambaughdesigns.com/home.html

My experience with Chris was awesome. Do a search here; I can't shut up about him.

look at his two photo galleries for examples of his single cut design. It looks to have evolved over time.

Heck, there is no wrong choice from the list you have. Every one of those builders has an awesome reputation here. ( I think (know) I'll own a Nordstrand some day.) It's just that phrase
    (I still don't want to break the bank) that I can totally relate to. Chris' prices, with most options costing nothing extra, cannot be beat.

I am honestly sorry if I complicated things. Commissioning a custom was a thrill for me. I wish you the same enjoyment I experienced. Of course, you may go mad during the process.

I kept reminding myself that of all of the different emotions I may experience in life; anticipation is far from the worst.

BTW what sort of engineering do you practice? I am a surveyor in a civil Engineering firm.

Chad

6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Check out some of forumite's Pete Skjold's designs.

He has some awfully incredible stuff...

7. Of those listed (except R bass - I'm not too sure there), you can get the most bang for your buck with Mark Eshenbaugh, as long as you go through a dealer. Same bass, same specs, different builder and Mark is more affordable than Chris Benavente or Carey Nordstrand almost every time. Of course, you're dealing with Carey when you buy a Nordie.

Additionally, I see Elricks as being a very different beast than Benes, Nordies, and Eshenbaughs. Every Elrick I've played, while having amazing tone, felt a little clunky. They were a little big in the neck and felt as though they were designed for a little higher action.

One of the best basses I've ever played for playability was a Roscoe at BC a couple months ago. It was just way too trebly for me, though.