Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SilveRKidd19, May 11, 2003.

1. SilveRKidd19

SilveRKidd19

Sep 28, 2001
    New York
    I want a new bass and I think im willing to save up for something in the 900 but would want to pay in the 500 range more. Im looking for the best sounding bass I can possibly get if someone get help me out that would be great. Oh by the way I play punk but I also play jazz and other blues stuff for fun.

2. I think the best thing you could do is going to your local instrument store and trying out everything that catches your fancy. Write down what you like best and come here and do a search on them.

And if you want to do a little research before you do that, do a search. This has been discussed to great lengths before.

3. SilveRKidd19

SilveRKidd19

Sep 28, 2001
    New York
    Ok then what do you guys think about the Fender Standered P bass then I want to slap on new Seymour Duncan SPB-3 pickups and put on a new pickguard :) or should i just save up for the American PBASS??

4. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    I'd reccomend the American-P man... Just because I would probably think that the pickups would be better on the American because what I've learned from buying basses, is the more money you spend, the better the INSTRUMENT is made. The American P pickups are good, and the construction is very solid, and is pretty much a semi-pro/pro bass, and would probably last you a while. The Standard is more along the lines of someone who has been playing for a short time looking for an upgrade. I think the AmericanP would last longer, and have a better tone man, _-soto-_

5. SilveRKidd19

SilveRKidd19

Sep 28, 2001
    New York
    <---- been playing under a year looking for an upgrade :( LOL! Yea i decided to just go to my local sam ash and try everything and see waht I like ive gotten that from numerous people so im going to go do that thanks for the help.

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Like Gunnar says, try 'em all! The Standard, (MIM), Fenders have come a long way in recent years... Way better electronics, fit and finish, woods, all around quality on my '00 fretless Jazz than on my '92 Jazz... Seriously, check it out thoroughly through a good amp before upgrading the pickups... They are not that bad... I have not played a Standard Fender in recent memory that I would hesitate to gig with after a setup...

-robert

7. in the 500 range the best stuff out imo are the spector ns2000 (neck thru, not that q4 bolt on crap)

8. Take a look at Godin basses. They're passive model only costs about $600. They sound great, are nice and small, and the quality is really good for the price. It's one of the few under $1000 basses I can think of that's actually made in America and not somewhere in Asia or Mexico.

9. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Well, North America anyway... Godin is a Canadian company :cool:... You're right though... They are excellent basses and are under-rated, IMO.

-robert

10. They are a Candaian company, but the ones I've seen have were actually assembled in the U.S.

11. Word. And don't underestimate the MIM basses either, I have a MIM Jazz that is a very high quality bass considering what I paid for it.

12. BONZOBASS

BONZOBASS

May 7, 2003
    IMO i would grab a japanese p-bass used or a new one like a re-issue model,there are many good used ones on e-bay all the time and they usually go for about 300.00$ give or take ,or you can buy one of the re-issue models new for like 599.00$ or even cheaper depending on the model,store or options.I own a 86 p/j bass special(both J & P pick-ups)it came w/ dimarzios and i added a bad-ass bridge. i could'nt ask for a better bass,antone who has ever played it has offered to buy it,any music store i brang it into to try out amps w/ it offered to buy it(the salesmen).For some reason the 80's japanese basses (both styles p and j basses)were great models that surpassed the american made ones,even the SQUIRES in that decade were made so good they have become collectables(they were once called bullet basses then evolved to the squire model)without a shadow of a doubt i would choose on of these over a mex made,dont get me wrong some mex models sound great,and even better if you do some up-grades. before you lock onto any one bass in perticular play a whole bunch then coose wisely:bassist:

13. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    You should buy my MIM Jazz V-- only $425 with barts installed (and a very cool series/parallel switch). :D :cool: :D