I want a new pickguard for my P-Bass, need your opinion

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bkchang79, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Well I'm getting tired of boring white pickguard on my bass. I don't like the tortoise with my maple neck and generally want a light color. What do you guys think about the gold, cream color? Anyone has a pic of a 2 tone sunburst with a cream color P-bass? Thanks!
  2. I prefer sunbursts with Tort (but you said you don't care for them) or black p/gs.

Gold might look sweet, but a cream wouldn't look too different than your current white one. I have an "aged white" p/g on my 62 jazz, and it's almost a light mint color. But then again, I don't really like it either.

Check out www.pickguards.com for some ideas. they have buttloads of different designs and colors.
  3. I like the tortoise color, but I don't think it would look good with a maple neck
  4. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    have you thought about a pearloid pickguard?

You might also want to give a tortoise shell another thought... that is a really classic look!

5. I had a T shell p/g on a maple necked P bass. 2 tone sunburst and everything. I didn't think it looked bad at all with the maple neck. If you can, try to find a lighter shade of T shell. I've seen some that are very dark, which might not look good, and some are really light. Black pearl would look pretty cool, too.

Or, for some $$$ get a custom p/g that blends into the sunburst. :cool:
  6. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    have you tried a mirrored pickguard like Nino's? :rolleyes:
  8. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
  9. I have a MIA 3 tone sunburst P that I just put a black p/g on. I like the way it looks, and I'm not sure I like the pearloid ones anymore (one on stingray might have to go).

10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Another vote for tortoise here.

I have a new Precision 5, sunburst and with the "aged" mint greenish pickguard and wanted to change to a tortoise one. I didn't because of the silly price for a replacement Fender pickguard in Sweden (almost 100 USD), so I'll just keep the mint one. It looks cool too.
  11. I got my pickguard in today. What do you think!
  12. Is there a special way to take the protective film off? Cause there's some on the edges, I just can't take it off.
  13. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    Is it a Stew-mac standard PG? It was a pain getting the film off mine too.

Just start scaping with your nail at a corner, eventually it will peel up and it will come off fairly easily.

No special way, that I know of. Someone out there probably knows.
  14. It was a stew mac, I just cut my nails a 2 days ago!
  15. Blux

Feb 5, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    When I first got my P-Bass I backed the screws out a little and that made it easy to remove all the litte pieces that get left on the edges. Your bass looks nice. I put the gold one on in place of the white on my P-Bass. see avatar
  16. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Good choice. Looks miles better.
  17. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    looks great but i would have used this:

Gold Anodized Aluminum looks great on sunburst too!!

18. I gotta agree with that statement. I just love tortoise shell p/gs.

Mike J.
  19. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Comment on barosso's '57RI. I have a sunburst '57 RI and at first I hated the gold anodized pickguard but I have really grown to like the vibe it gives the bass. Black is good too- but sorry tort guys - I've bought basses with tort and taken it off in a week.