1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I want a new pickguard for my P-Bass, need your opinion

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bkchang79, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Well I'm getting tired of boring white pickguard on my bass. I don't like the tortoise with my maple neck and generally want a light color. What do you guys think about the gold, cream color? Anyone has a pic of a 2 tone sunburst with a cream color P-bass? Thanks!

2. I prefer sunbursts with Tort (but you said you don't care for them) or black p/gs.

Gold might look sweet, but a cream wouldn't look too different than your current white one. I have an "aged white" p/g on my 62 jazz, and it's almost a light mint color. But then again, I don't really like it either.

Check out www.pickguards.com for some ideas. they have buttloads of different designs and colors.

3. I like the tortoise color, but I don't think it would look good with a maple neck

4. pmkelly

pmkelly Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    have you thought about a pearloid pickguard?

[​IMG]

You might also want to give a tortoise shell another thought... that is a really classic look!

P@

5. I had a T shell p/g on a maple necked P bass. 2 tone sunburst and everything. I didn't think it looked bad at all with the maple neck. If you can, try to find a lighter shade of T shell. I've seen some that are very dark, which might not look good, and some are really light. Black pearl would look pretty cool, too.

Or, for some $$$ get a custom p/g that blends into the sunburst. :cool:

6. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    have you tried a mirrored pickguard like Nino's? :rolleyes:

8. pmkelly

pmkelly Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO

9. I have a MIA 3 tone sunburst P that I just put a black p/g on. I like the way it looks, and I'm not sure I like the pearloid ones anymore (one on stingray might have to go).

jtbp

10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Another vote for tortoise here.

I have a new Precision 5, sunburst and with the "aged" mint greenish pickguard and wanted to change to a tortoise one. I didn't because of the silly price for a replacement Fender pickguard in Sweden (almost 100 USD), so I'll just keep the mint one. It looks cool too.

11. I got my pickguard in today. What do you think!

12. Is there a special way to take the protective film off? Cause there's some on the edges, I just can't take it off.

13. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    Is it a Stew-mac standard PG? It was a pain getting the film off mine too.

Just start scaping with your nail at a corner, eventually it will peel up and it will come off fairly easily.

No special way, that I know of. Someone out there probably knows.

14. It was a stew mac, I just cut my nails a 2 days ago!

15. Blux

Blux

Feb 5, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    When I first got my P-Bass I backed the screws out a little and that made it easy to remove all the litte pieces that get left on the edges. Your bass looks nice. I put the gold one on in place of the white on my P-Bass. see avatar

16. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Good choice. Looks miles better.

17. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    looks great but i would have used this:

Gold Anodized Aluminum looks great on sunburst too!!

[​IMG]

18. I gotta agree with that statement. I just love tortoise shell p/gs.

Mike J.

19. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Comment on barosso's '57RI. I have a sunburst '57 RI and at first I hated the gold anodized pickguard but I have really grown to like the vibe it gives the bass. Black is good too- but sorry tort guys - I've bought basses with tort and taken it off in a week.

20. looks sweet man