I want a nice active 5 string for under 600.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by billybo, Jun 15, 2003.

1. billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    brand new..im lookin at the deluxe fender jazz bass for 559.....anyone got any better options...i want a bass good for funk and jazz style playing..
  2. billybo

Jul 18, 2002
  3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    get one of the new essex basses...
    then buy a j-retro...and if still have any money get some nice pups to go with it...and man!!!
    that would be just be awsome!!

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Try Carvin or go have a look at one of the new Warwick Rockbasses.
  5. Fender Deluxe J's are a good option, but I'd also check out some Yamahas. The RBX series and BB series are good value, and are all active basses. They'd be good for the funk and jazz style you mentioned too.
  6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    MIM Fender Jazz Delux 5. They go for around $450 or so.
  7. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    I have a Yamaha BB605 i bout for about 850 cdn, i expect it would be less than 600 u.s. it has a nathan east preamp in it, and i play funk and jazz and it works well. it comes with double J's in it, and gold hardwear i havn't had a problem with it.
  8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    all of this stuff is still made over seas...even squires are alright now..$800?
    what are you talking about?
    $230 for the bass...$200 for the retro..some used pups.thats looks like $500 to me..
    how is this any different from any other bass..
    resale value? WHO CARES!!! if you like the bass who cares how much some one else will buy it for...you have you priorites in the wrong place if you ask me..if all you think about is brnad name and resale value

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    First of all let me say that I like the MIM Fender Jazz basses. They are very good for the money, and don't need any modifications whatsoever to be good regular gigging instruments. You will not regret it if you buy one.

That said, Check out the Dean Edge Q5. I have a Dean Edge 5 fretless that I got Dec 31, 1999 for a little over $400 at a local dealer. It has been a rock solid bass for me, never fails, neck is nice and stable, plays and feels great, sounds wonderful. Highly recommended. The "Q" is more expensive and a higher end model than my basic "Edge". I have owned a MIM Fender Jazz bass in the past and IMO the Dean is a better quality instrument. Better hardware, better crafstmanship in the assembly. The pickups on the MIM Jazz are first rate though IMO.

Pretty, huh? :) A lot of forum members are very happy with their Dean basses.

I agree with SMASH about the Brice. It looks like a fine bass for $300, and for $300 I doubt you can do better. But if your budget is $600 it makes little sense to buy a $300 bass and put $300 worth of mods in it. You'd be better off just buying a bass that you like in the first place.

Here's a link to Dean's page for the Edge Q.
  10. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    this is something in case he didn't have the money to spend all at once...
    i would rather get a skyline used..
    and i have played a j-retro in a lakland...

and what does under 20 have to do with anything...you don't know me or how mature i am or anything....and "real money"..i know the concept of real money....im by no means stupid...my iq is very high..:cool: ...just a suggestion sorry it wasn't the same as yours..

11. bollefen

Mar 13, 2003
    i'm kind of where you are. have a warwick rockbass corvette classic, 5 string. to me very bright and glassy, maybe hifi.

just got 2 MIM jazz 4 strings 1 fretless and 1 fretted and really think they are great value and have ended up playing them more than the warwick. i'll probably get rid of the fretted mim jazz and get a fretted 5 mim jazz

looking around at some others just cause of GAS but highly recommend the MIMs and the rockbass for value

bill:bassist: :D :p :cool:
  12. bollefen

Mar 13, 2003
    hmmm sorry the grouped smilies, screwed something up :(

13. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i guess since im under 20 everything i think is wrong..my opinion is wrong too...and i have no real concept of reality....
    man all those years of A.P. classes wasted...damn...

14. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i guess since im under 20 everything i think is wrong..my opinion is wrong too...and i have no real concept of reality....
    man all those years of A.P. classes wasted...damn...sorie 4 bringin mi stoopidnis to dis bord tjhingy......me go in to shov somthig up my nos nowe

15. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I agree with this statement 100%

Ive owned an Dlx active jazz for roughly 3 years now and have played many a gig & rehearsal on it. Varrying from Rock/Metal, Country, Christian, Reggae, Funk, Fusion, Smooth Jazz, Pop/Top-40 Dance stuff. There is no type of music that Ive encounterd yet that the bass cant handle tonaly.
  16. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I recently picked up a KSD5 I like it more than any other standard jazz 5 string I've played, plus the 70's model comes with beautiful inlays! :)
  17. I got a Brice v2 and I am happy with it. I got a fretless, but they have both fretted and not. I got mine from rondomusic.com They don't have a great selection, but they are seemingly nice basses for around 300$ Sadly though I havn't played it too much recently work and kung fu (and the sleep that I need to recover from the forementioned) have taken precidence over my musical studies as of late.

:D I'm proud of me I used some big, grown up words in that post...precidence...forementioned...I...a...got...but...:p
  18. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ

For sale. Looking for $400 + shipping with HSC. Let me know if interested. tim@leuchtnet.com