Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want a Quantum 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PICK, Apr 16, 2002.

1. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I love the look of the Modulus Quantum 5. I have major gas for one.
    Are they good??????
    If i do get it will most probably cost me alot of money will it be worth it???????

2. Hey Pick: Are the Modulus (Moduli?) any good? Absolutely!!! Would it be worth getting one? Hard to say. I have a 1994 Quantum 6. It is, without a doubt, a fantastic playing instrument with great tone and the finest bass I've ever seen. The graphite neck also shrugs off the extreme temperature and humidity shifts from season to season in my area. However, it was expensive (about $2700 US). The five-string runs about $200 less. Although I love my Modulus, I could buy BOTH of my current GAS interests, a Peavey Millennium 4+ fretted and Peavey Cirrus 5 fretless, for the same amount of money. I count on keeping my Quantum 6 forever, but with so many fine basses on the market for reasonable prices, I think I would be more moderate in my spending on an individual bass were I to buy another today. Being made in the USA, the Modulus could also be quite expensive in Australia. If you do get one though, I fully expect you'd be thrilled with it.

Bryan

3. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    No body distributes them here (australia) so if i want one ill probably have to talk to Gard about getting one sent over!! Now that will be expensive!!!!!!

4. Hey Pick: I'm curious which brands of basses are most common in music stores in your area. Are they the same Made in Japan/Made in Mexico/Made in Taiwan/Made in the US basses available here, or are there a good supply of basses from other European and Asian countries?

Bryan

5. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Most the stuff we get here is second hand but yeah its mostly korean, japanese, Taiwan and we get quite a few MIA fenders with prices to match too!! This is a very bad country for musicians

6. I thought I'd explain further the point I was trying to make in my first reply to your question. At 35 years of age, I'm finding I have a few items that were quite expensive and considered "the best" by many. In hindsight, I wonder if, had I spent less money on "very good" stuff instead of "the best" stuff, I might have a greater arsenal of things at my disposal. For example, my amplifier is sort of crappy although I run a fantastic bass through it. The expensive Modulus also ate up money that could have gone to other interests like tools, traveling, or saving money (?!) It appears I'm having an early mid-life crisis :) As you make your decision whether or not to get one of the very fine Modulus basses, try to put the whole aquisition into perspective. I didn't and am now questioning some of my earlier big expenditures.

Bryan

7. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    But are you questioning the Modulus?? Do you regret it?? Im only 20 years old i dont need to save now!! well i dont think i do anyway!!

8. No, I don't question my buying the Modulus. If I were to lose my job and end up living on the streets, I'd probably sell everything except the Modulus :) The value I place on that instrument goes beyond its sound quality or ease of playing. It's part musical instrument, part household furniture (quilted maple top with black cherry stain and matching tinted neck), and part conversation piece.

This might be well outside the scope of the TalkBass forum, so the moderator should edit this as necessary, but as this relates to bass buying... I wish I'd saved more money when I was in my early 20s due to the magic of compound interest. Heck I bet I could probably buy a handful of exotic basses with cash when I'm 60 if I'd saved more in my 20s. I think Albert Einstein, when asked what the most amazing phenomenon he'd ever seen, replied "Compound Interest".

Bryan

9. If you want the bass now, and you can afford it, I say go for it. You only live once, unless you are Bond. When you get older your priorities will probably change if you get married and have kids and then you may not get it. That is the logic I am using. I save a certain amount of money a year and I spend a certain amount on my basses. Just remember that you can't spend all your money on basses. Or is that you shouldn't....?

But yeah, I hear great things about Modulus basses, but if I were to get one I would pick it up used, there are quite a few used Quantums around and they are about 50% the cost of a new one. Bass Northwest seems to go through quite a few used Modulus Quantums.

Geoff

10. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    wow that bass sounds sweet! Nice colour! I cant get over the beauty of some of Modulus' colours and woods!
    This one for example

11. That spalted maple six-string is one of my favorites on the Modulus web site. There are a couple music stores near me that have Quantum 5s in the maple top with Blackstone finish. With chrome hardware, these basses look killer. I didn't think I'd like such a dark finish but the highly figured maple really jumps out with the stain. I also picked up a Flea Bass five string and thought it was nice. It seemed like the neck was a bit thicker than on my Q6 though.

Bryan

12. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    This ones nice too!!

13. greenmodulus

greenmodulus

Mar 4, 2002
    Oregon
    I owned a Quantum 5-string for 10 years. I loved it. I recently sold it to pay for a Fodera. I admit I prefer the Fodera, but who wouldn't? The only problem I had was that it wasn't much good for playing slap-bass. I couldn't get triplets to play very well like on my Flea Bass (note another Modulus). So I sold both my Modulus basses to get the Fodera. I do miss the Flea but it was a 4-string. My next purchase will be a Flea 5. I don't think the finger-style tone of the Flea was that great. Especially compared to the Quantum. I think that if you have played a Quantum and like it, you will not regret getting it. If you play slap, make sure the neck is fast enough.

14. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I dont slap! So im thinking that the bass might be just what i want now!!

15. asirvio

asirvio

Apr 15, 2002
    Motor City USA
    Modulus Q5's are way cool....Get the Barts....You'll be happy.:cool:

16. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Hey Pick--I have been the proud owner of a Modulus Q5 for about a year and a half now and it is great! It has Barts and a 5A quilted maple top finished in a honey color. It is the nearest thing to bass heaven that I have ever had! I love her. I would never leave her! It plays like a dream and doesn't get in the way of my playing. Yea, they ain't cheap, but if you are serious about bass, throw caution to the wind and get one!

17. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I wanted one too.

So I bought one.:D

I have a Quantum 5 with a 5A flame maple top finished in transparent sienna. Bart pups and 18v 3 band eq.

I highly recommend the Barts if you decide to get one.

It is the best investment I have made so far.;) Totally love it.

18. Modulus Q5 are sweet.

19. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Hey Ryan:
    Sounds like a sweetie you've got there! Mine has the 18V 3 bander too and it has such a hot output that I have to be careful 'cause it will overdrive some things. In fact, you could plug it straight into a power amp and get decent volume!

20. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yeah, it's great. I have never played a bass that has just "done everything" for me like the Quantums do. Since I got it a couple months ago, I think I have picked up my Cirrus 2 times. I am now seriously thinking about selling the Cirrus and picking up a Quantum 4 or possibly a Flea Bass.