1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I want a rick but.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 2behead, Aug 8, 2012.

1. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    I want one so bad. They sound great, play great, I love them. I am a fender guy so they feel different but I have played them enough to know I like them. The problem, I just can't justify spending more than $800-$1000 on a bass. I don't care about appearance that much. I have been looking for a beat up one that plays well. Seems like every one treats them like they are made of gold. (probably due to price) you never see a beater Rick............ I may have to bite the bullet on this one. I know there are deals out there but am I wrong for wanting to get one for that price? Is it unreasonable? If I had one and was going to sell it that's what I would assume they were worth judging buy playability.

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    You can find them for that price if you're diligent. They will definitely need a lot of work and quite probably will be stripped of most of their retail value.

3. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    I am not concerned with "value" I am not a collector I am a player. so that is good to hear. I am not opposed to putting a few buck into Real pickups or a bridge due to some one "upgrading" but $1600 is just a bit hard for me to shell out.

4. The only way to completely shut off the voice in your head is to buy one. I had a Jetglo 4003 for a year and discovered it wasn't for me, but I still GAS for one occasionally.

If you're really trying to avoid them, don't dare go into Apple Music Row downtown. They always have a dozen hanging high to avoid drool splatter.

5. My ric was $1,080 new in december-I know those deals dont pop up often but I got a used maple glo with a amp I sold for 120$ for 900$ total-it was a bit beat up , craigslist find 7 months back.

6. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    i had one, a '79 4001 found it wasnt for me about 10 years ago...and what am i gassing for now..yup gotta give it another whirl!

7. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    Browse through ebay and you might be able to catch a bargain. Although the Ricks that are selling at the $1000 price range tend to require repairs - I've seen gutted Ricks for sale, or Ricks in bad condition. They don't pop up often though, so it's a matter of constantly browsing.

8. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    I feel your pain, bro. Imagine how I feel - I want a 80's NS-2, a Kubicki Ex Factor and a (gasp!) Aria Pro II SB-1000.

Unfortunately for me I don't have $5,000 kicking around.... :rollno:

9. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    well...thy aint for everyone....I love the sound but not the feel of them.

had a "great" one and let it go.....every now and again, I want one again...

get one....that is the only way to see for sure...

10. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I feel ya, OP. I played one in a Houston guitar store and I actually liked it quite a bit...minus the pricetag. There are a lot of "high-end" companies that put out some solid versions that are a bit more stripped-down than the flagship model that they sell. Fender's Squier VM and CV lines are excellent, and they don't go past $400! The newer Warwick Rockbass series is excellent and still maintains the options and tone that are characteristic of the Warwick growl. The Sterling by Musicman series has had good success from what I've seen, and they are true to the feel of the full-on Stingrays.

For Rics I'd say axe the triangle inlays, body binding, stereo output, that vintage tone push/pull pot and I'd gladly pay $800-1000 for one. Call it whatever you want, but if they could lower it to that price without all the fluff, I'd totally buy one. I don't know if that would be enough to get it down that low, but as long as the pickups and body/neck size and shape are the same then I'm cool :cool:

11. birdman14

birdman14

Feb 7, 2011
    Boston
    If you scour all of the craigslist, there are a few good deals. Right now, there is one in chicago at around 1100, and 1981 4001 in dayton at 1200. It seems that everyone has raised the price of their used stuff, six months to a year ago, you could find stuff at 1200 all day. Of course, you could wait until tax time next year, when people need to sell theirs off.

12. BassGen

BassGen

Mar 15, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    My 2011 MapleGlo 4003 is my main and favorite player now. Nothing else I have matches it for sheer depth and breadth of tone. I have a 2001 4003 also (Jetglo) but it doesn't have the Cap bypass. Still, it sounds good and looks great but I am having a deep sensual relationship with my MG right now.

13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Methinks every Rick is a beater.

14. bassman700

bassman700

Nov 6, 2011
    I got my 4003 Jet Glo about 2 years ago, for $1400 (plus $100 shipping). Worth every penny, that thing is my prized posession. I'd just put out the money man, why put out a **** ton of money for a half-ass one that might not sound as good as one you would gotten if you put out a few more bucks?