I want a RICKENBACKER. Please help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Mar 14, 2002.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I´ve found a 4001 v63 in great shape. The dealer is far from me so I have to buy unplayed.
    How does this bass play compared to 70th 4001´s and todays 4003´s (neckwidth and scalelength). And how does the horseshue and toaster pups affect the sound. Also what is this bass worth.
  2. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Its not so much what the pups are, but more of the lines of where they were placed. From what I've heard, 4003 necks are stronger and technically the 4001v63 is the same as the pre-75(?) 4001s minus the really pretty binding. It should technically have much bassier bass. Don't know though, never actually played one...just a 4003.
  3. It actually IS more of what the pups are!

The v63 has a clankier top end with a tonally different bottom end. Before '72, (i think it was '72...) the regular 4001 had the toaster/horseshoe and the checkered binding and shark tooth inlays.

Think of it this way - Geddy Lee played a reuglar 4001 (and I bought a new 4003 to try and achieve his sound), while Chris Squire plays a V63. That'll give you some idea of the tonal difference. Of course their setups and playing styles are different, but anyway...

The neck width and scale length should be identical. Neck depth varies from rick to rick, v63 or not.

The 4003 neck is stronger - it has two truss rods. The 4001 has a single rod, and the idea for movnig to two was to better support the increased tension of roundwound strings. That said, TONS of people use roundwound strings on their 4001, most of the 4001 necks are strong enough. The key is in how you adjust the rod. On a 4001, you must never just tighten the rod without "helping" the neck move into position first with your own strength, then snug down the rod to hold it there. It's not strong enough to move the neck on its own.

The newer 4001v63/c64 reissues do have the dual truss rod system (as far as I'm aware, at least) so no problems there if it's not an old one.

4. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Mr. F. . E. . . is correct on the v63 truss rods. They were redesigned to accomodate roundwounds. You should search the Rickenbacker posts in here as the 4001v63 has been discussed. I recall people saying the v63 has a bigger sound. The body is more contoured and does not cut into your forearm like a 4003. The headstock has those cool wings.
  5. Right, Max.

The v63 doesn't have the body binding that cuts into your forearm (but I think it's gorgeous!) or the shark tooth inlays (which I think are gorgeous!), but it does have the cool contrasting headstock wings.