I want a Sadowsky SOOO BAD!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nino Valenti, Feb 5, 2001.

1. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I live in NY, so what did I do? I tortured my self by visiting Roger Sadowsky's shop. I brought a G&L L-2500 & a Spector USA NS-4 w/me for comparisons!!!! I looked around, asked to play a Modern 24 fret 5 string & pluged in to an SWR RedHead combo (i think). I set the eq flat & played on it for about 15 min. It played incerdible. sounded great, too. so I put it down, & plugged in my L-2500. I loved that bass, but the sound was like I was playing a Squier bass!!! I was shocked. So I plugged in my NS-4 & it did sound better, but man, the Sadowsky had it beat (Sound wise. I still love the total feel of all Spectors)

Now here is my dilema. This is also my <u>OPINION</u>. Why shoud I pay $3200 for a Warmoth bass w/an Aguilar pre-amp? Yeah, he say's is a "Sadowsky" pre-amp & he builds em him self, But the bass resembles a Warmoth!!! The control plate is exactly the same, the end of the fretbaord is flat, just like Warmoths. I just had a Warmoth bass built for me w/an Aguilar preamp & EMG 40-J's & it kills!!! & it cost me $900!!! I could build 2 more & still have bread left over. But come on. Ok, the Warmoth I build plays GREAT, but it dosent play as good as the original, the body shape on the Sadowsky Modern 5 is sleeker that the Warmoth Deluxe 5 Jazz I build, But to my recollection, it sound the same!!!

All I'm trying to do is let off some steam & eventually, when I have enough cash I will buy a Sadowsky 24 fret 5 String & probably install an Aguilar OBP-1 in my Spector basses.

Which of you have a Sadowsky, & what do you think of it?

Wanna see my Spector basses? Go to the <a href="http://www.theoremnyc.cjb.net">THEOREM WEBPAGE</a> & click on "Nino-Bass". I don't have any pics of my Warmoth/Sadowsky clone yet, but I will soon. Peace.

2. I have a Sadowsky Vintage 5 fretted. Not only do I consider it the best bass I have owned, it is the best bass I have ever played. Flawless construction, plays wonderfully and has a tone to die for. Futher, Roger is an incredible guy.

His basses are not made from Warmoth parts, though, as I'm sure others will tell you. The instrument is totally his design.

I would not hesitate buying another Sadowsky. In fact, I'm thinking about getting a fretless 5!

Jeff

3. TalkBass Sponsor

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    This is strictly my opinion, so keep that in mind...

To me, when you buy a Spector (I own an NS-4), you're buying a completely unique instrument, save the electronics, which are, of course 18-volt EMG's in my case. I think they have a custom preamp of some sort...never knew which one, though. But, this is an instrument made to the exacting specifications of Stuart Spector. I don't think that anybody builds better basses...maybe different, but not better!

Also to me, when you buy a Sadowsky, you're buying an equally high quality instrument, but there's a lot less "uniqueness" about them...the body is more of a generic style, and I believe it's outsourced...not made in-house the way that I believe Spectors are. Maybe I'm wrong on some of the construction details, but the end result is the same...

I almost see them as two basses of similar quality, but only one actually says, "I'm made by the guy who puts his name on them", whereas the other says to me, "I'm assembled and finished by the guy who puts his name on them but made by other people".

You can argue neck-through vs. bolt-on any day of the week, and I don't think you'll get agreement...ever! But, I just feel like I own something that's more a work of art than just something manufactured very well...

Again, just my opinion.

5. It's an uninformed opinion.

Bert

6. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    This is a pretty confusing post. You ask "Why shoud I pay $3200 for a Warmoth bass w/an Aguilar pre-amp?

My answer would be that you shouldn't. You even give reasons why you shouldn't, you even say they sound the same.

No problem with any of that, except for calling Roger's bass a Warmoth. Here's the confusing part, for me.
    If you have a $900 bass that kills, that sounds like Roger's, that plays great... what would make you want one of Roger's? You would seem to have every reason not to.

I also don't understand what you're letting off steam about. Could you explain that, too?

8. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Why is it an uninformed opinion? When I called Warmoth to order the neck I asked them to make a "Sadowdky headstock". They said:

"No problem, Send us a skecth & we will do it for a $35-55 upcharge."

When they get the sketch, they call me & say:

"Sorry, but we can't make that headstock because we used to make parts for him & we will run into legal problems."

Aguilar amplification is in the same building as Sadowsky So that is a total assumption. The sound was very similar so I guessing that Aguilar makes the pre-amp for sadowsky. Go to <a href="http://www.aguilaramp.com/html/12.html"><b>Aguilar Site</b></a> & read the first paragraph. Roger says the on-board is the same exact as the outboard.

Come on, put 2+2 together. :)

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The $3000 doesn't buy you parts, Warmoth or otherwise; it gets buy a literally flawless setup and great service. Anyone who's been playing for a while knows how difficult it is to come by the last two. Would you rather keep your $3000 or live with finish blips, file marks, high action, uneven nut slots etc.? I can live with the imperfection; some wouldn't, and that's who Sadowsky and other boutique makers serve.

10. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Hi brad. I'm just full of "GAS". I am a very compulsive gear nut. I also said that the Sadowsky did play better than the Warmoth. I didn't play the 2 basses in a comparison since I just finished it a week ago, but from what I remembered about the Sadowsky's sound, it as very similar.

About it being a warmoth, read my previos post.

I guess "letting off steam" was a bad choice of words. I guess saying "brainstorming about the idea of buying a Sadowsky", or just "thinking on to my keyboard" might of been better. I was just letting ideas flow from my brain to the screen.

11. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    If you saw the bass I had built, you wouldn't be saying that.

12. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    That's true; I guess you also have to factor in a premium for the marquee name. Sadowsky can probably charge more because he's is better known than Pulcinella and other up-and-comers.

13. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Aguilar desing and is building the Sadowsky pre-amp, they also have the samw spec. I nerver tried an aguilar pre-amp but I guess it would sound the same way as the Sadowsky. I also own a Sadowsky, I think they are the greatest bass, I wish I could afford 1 or 2 others.

Here's a link about Sadowsky/warmoth:

http://talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=7524&pagenumber=3

Read what Roger have to say.

And here's another link where you can post any question about Sadowsky basses, the guy there will be able to answer almost anything.

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/sadowskyworld

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Nino, when the person at Warmoth said they "used to" make Sadowsky necks, what does that mean to you?

I really don't have a problem with what you said, it was just "curious". If the Warmoth you had built "kills" and plays great, why would you want a Sadowsky for triple the money?

Because...

15. Alex Aguilar designed the famous Sadowsky preamp. The Aguilar preamp on the Aguilar site is a different design, though very similar.
    The Sadowsky preamp in Sadowsky basses is identical to the Sadowsky outboard, that's true.
    Roger himself has explained here that his instruments are *not* made from Warmoth parts. He did order Warmoth parts in the past for repair jobs though.
    Warmoth will make anything for you if they can make a dollar on it as long as there's no copyright infringement.

Bert

16. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    <b>"Nino, when the person at Warmoth said they "used to" make Sadowsky necks, what does that mean to you?"</b>

I really don't know what to think of it. When I played the Sadowsky @ his shop, it looked ALOT like Warmoth parts. If he does or dosen't is his business. My opinion is, I think they still do. To me, it dosen't matter where the parts come from as long as they are top quality.

<b>"I really don't have a problem with what you said, it was just "curious". If the Warmoth you had built "kills" and plays great, why would you want a Sadowsky for triple the money?"</b>

Because I'm nuts!!! Ask my wife. :) I have a problem with buying gear. There has to be a GBA (Gear Buyers Anonomus) I don't think I'll ever be really happy w/anything I have because there is something different (not necessarily better that what I own) out there. I have 3 Americian Spectors. ('87 NS-2, '96 NS-5 & '99 NS-4) If you are familiar w/Spectors, you know they are incerdible in every aspect!!! I'd think to stop there, but no. But I need something new. And it seems everytime I go into a music store I want something.

<b>"Because...

So couuld I. :)

17. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Maybe we could say that Fender Jazz Basses look remarkably similar to Warmoth and Sadowski. It's no secret that Roger tries to build the "ultimate jazz bass" and a look at the Warmoth site reveals nothing but Fender clones. As a player gets better and more in tune with the finer points of sound and playability, the differences become more subtle and more expensive. Maybe Sadowski is pricey, but I've never heard of a Sadowski being anything but excellent sounding and playing. Excellence doesn't always brag or look any different, its in the long term sound and playability. I could care less where Roger gets his parts, its the finished product that counts.

18. ... and what about a J-bass made, for instance, by one of Sadowsky's skilled emploees?

I mean a bass with no label and made with the same materials during weekends.

... how much?

:D

... and if you'd like reselling it a month later?

:(

19. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    This is an amusing thread.

20. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    This thread delivers. :D

21. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    lol.......i was thinking what the heck while reading the first post but then I looked at the date. :)