1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I want a short scale...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Benny the Finger, Feb 16, 2016.

1. what are some of the best buys out there...
    Not looking for a #1, just something different to play...
    4 string preferably...
    Under $350...
    The used market is pretty thin where I live, and L&M don't have much of a bass selection to try, so I'm looking for any advice or experience players may have...
    I'm hesitant about purchasing online without seeing or playing, but where's it's more for a beater I can hopefully make any adjustments it may need...
    Thanks guys

2. SkinCoffin

SkinCoffin

Aug 18, 2015
    Australia
    Don't buy an Ibanez Mikro unless you want to spend twice as much on mods (new hardware, new electronics)

Buy a Warwick rockbass short scale if you want adjustable everything. I got one and will never buy a different brands short scale again, best decision ever.

Aaron Mc, anavar and Herbie Chesnutt like this.
  3. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Squier VM Jaguar Short Scale is pretty good, though the lighter ones suffer from neck dive. I've also got an Ibanez Mikro 5, but it's a bit too small to use for anything live. I've got an Ibanex TMB30 on order, which is a 30" scale PJ but with a little wider neck.

Good luck.

Maxdusty likes this.
  4. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

To keep with your budget.

The VM Jag SS is amazingly good with great feel and sound. Still a Best Buy at the new price of $199. I got mine used for $100.
    The Gretsch 2202 (1 pickup) is a great blues thumper, but I think it is replaced by the 2220 (2 pickups) which I haven't tried.
    The Mikros are pretty good - I have a 4 and a 5 and don't need to replace anything.
    I think that Rondo Music also has short scale basses and their products can be quite good.
    I sold all my Squier and Fender Mustangs because the through-body stringing requires Medium Scale strings. None of my favorite strings come in 32" scale.

If you decide to expand your budget - the Lakland HOBO 30 is fantastic, and I assume that the Warwick is as well.

Duder likes this.
  5. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Keep an eye open on Kijiji and Craigslist.

TD

6. Dradder

Dradder

Feb 7, 2013
    Reno, Nevada
    I've had an Ibanez Mikro for a couple of years, and it's pretty good quality-wise, relative to price; punches above its weight, as it were. But I'll be leaving it behind when I move back to the States in a few months, and if I were to get another shortie, it'd almost certainly be the Ibanez TMB30 rather than another Mikro.

SkinCoffin likes this.
  7. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Epiphone Allen Woody, a very nice piece...

8. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

Dec 9, 2011
    Brampton, On
    i would suggest the Squier Jaguar Shorty. Order it from L&M and if you don't like it they have a good 30 day return policy. The Squier is an excellent bass for very little money. With the extra money you could upgrade some parts if you wish but honestly they are great out of the box. You really only need new strings and a setup to get an amazing playing bass. I have a red one and love it.

Benny the Finger and Short-scale like this.
  9. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    The Fender Rascal Bass is a fantastic short-scale, but even used it would probably exceed your budget. I also like the Chinese-made Starcaster and Coronados but snagging one for $350 would be quite a coup.

10. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    If you can find a Squier Vintage Modified Mustang Bass, let me know so I can buy one! I think they are discontinued, but boy are those nice.

godofthunder59 and Duder like this.
  11. A lot of good suggestions so far. Besides the ones already stated, most other short scale basses have a fairly unique sound, which might, or might not work for you. I'm thinking of Epiphone EB-0, or Allen Woody model, Hofner Ignition Series, or Eastwood bass. All nice, but also models I'd suggest you try before buying.

Benny the Finger and selowitch like this.
  12. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Short-scale basses are wonderful and get a lot of love here on TB.

Short-scale likes this.
  13. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    All I have is shorties. Way more than I need for sure. Here are a few that I have and can recommend.

1: Squier Jaguar SS, good right out of the box. Can play stock and are immently moddable. Look at the Jaguar SS thread for some ideas. The only complaint is the J pickup is a little weak. The P pickup is perfectly fine and on one of mine I haven't replaced either pickup as I mostly usr the P and blend in just a little of the J for some mids and highs. Possibly one of the best values on the market.
    2: Gretsch 2224 dual pickup. Very good player. Good tone out of it.
    3: Danelectro Longhorn. You can sometimes find them used in your price range. They have their own unique sound and look.
    4: ESP B-4 or B-5. I have one of the B-5s and it plays pretty good. Pretty much a Mikro with ESP logo.
    5: Hofner Icon, Epiphone Viola, Rogue, Douglas and a few more. The Beatle Bass. Have a Hofner and have played the Epiphone. Like the way the Hofner plays better than the Epi but like the sound of the Epi more. Really you can't go wrong with either one.
    6: Ibanez Mikro, 28 1/2" scale. These play well and with the new ones it's not necessary to change parts. Pickups and electronics are good, bridge and tuners work like they should.

I have many more but out of your stated price range.

Two I don't have and might be worth your looking at are the Epiphone EB-0 and the new Ibanez Talman TMB30. Odds are that I'll have one of the Ibanez in the near future.

MTFD24 and wintremute like this.
  14. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    For versatility, personally, I would go for the Squier Jag SS or the Ibanez Talman TMB30.
    Screen shot 2016-02-16 at 9.59.06 PM.

MTFD24 and Benny the Finger like this.
  15. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    My suspicion is that the average Squier is going to be of better quality than the average Talman.

ICM, JackANSI and Short-scale like this.
  16. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    Some of these threads should give you some ideas: Search Results for Query: short scale | TalkBass.com[node]=8

What's available where you're at for you to try in person? Most of the options in that price range have been listed many times over in threads.
    If you counted the times they've been recommended, I'd bet they'd rank something like this:

Squier Jaguar SS, Ibanez Mikro, Squier Bronco, Gretsch G2xxx series, SX,
    Epiphone EB0, Danelectro Longhorn, Squier Mustang, Cort Action Jr.,
    Warwick (used), Hagstrom HB-4 (used), and recently Ibanez Talman.
    Probably several more I'm forgetting too.

Best to try whatever's available first to see if a short scale suits you.

Benny the Finger likes this.
  17. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    Go and check the Squier Jag Short Scale thread. Lots of love for them for a very good reason. Value for money they have to be one of the best instruments anywhere.

I haven't played a Talman but like the look of them.

MTFD24 and Short-scale like this.
  18. Don't buy a Squier Bronco......you'll regret it.

3 pickups and two bridges later as well as umpteen different strings, I finally have mine where it is now satisfactory.

Disregard anything written on this site about how great a modding platform the Bronco is. It's b*llsh*t and they aren't. Although the neck does play nice.

I like my Mikro. It had better tone than my SS Jag right out of the box. My Mikro with D'addario Black Nylon Tapewound Flats has a really good tone.

I got rid of the Jag SS but I'm never selling the Mikro. I think the Jag SS has been way overhyped here on TB, personally.

I have not played an Ibanez Talman 30 yet.......but I can't wait to get my hands on one for a test drive. The Talman 30 and I are destined to meet somewhere somehow.. It's just a matter of time.

I've got a Gretsch Junior Jet coming in..but I can't give a report on it until it gets here.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  19. Google Scott Whitley and check out his SWB-1. Or click the link.

ShortScaleBass.co.uk

The man's been playing short scales for years and finally felt time was right for his own model to go into production.

20. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I can't fault the Mikro, but your experience may be different.

I was very tempted by the Squier Jag SS, but now I have 4 shorties, so I don't think I will get around to the Squier any time soon.