1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I want a smooth clean sound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Metal Star, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Metal Star

Metal Star

Jun 6, 2007
    I want a really smooth, clean, undistorted sound like you hear in old jazz and classic rock without any really heavy chunk like you hear in most modern rock and metal or any ringy metallic sound. What kind of strings should i use? Brand? Type? Guage?

2. the_fooj

the_fooj

Feb 15, 2007
    Chevy Chase, MD
    I think you want flatwound strings

3. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    I think so too. I like TI Jazz Flats, but some folks find them a little too supple. If so GHS makes a nice flatwound with a little more tension to the feel. Both produce a woody, resonant sound that can easily be played clean.

4. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Inactive

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Flats or nickel rounds with the treble or tone rolled off.
    Nickel roundwounds will give you an all around good tone. There are going to be times when you need more bite.
    It's better to have it and roll it off than not have it and try to add it on. Go with Fender 7150's, D'Addario XL Nickels, or DR Lo-Rider Nickels.

5. Yeah, flats for sure. Nickels would be a good things to try too. SGT. has a good point about keeping it flexible, but if you don't need the "bite" ever, flats, nickel flats... Thomastik-Infeld Nickel Flat Wound Roundcore, would be a good starting point, IMHO.

6. Oh yeah, and use a tube amp, slightly overdriven. A lot of those "classic rock" bassist's sound actually wasn't all that "clean".

7. stealth51

stealth51

Jan 26, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    +1 on the DR Lo-Rider NIckels

8. david fitch

david fitch

Feb 20, 2007
    I would also go with Nickel Roundwounds. I like the D'addario XL Nickelwounds. I cover a lot of Classic Rock and old Soul Music from the '60s & '70s and they work great. SGT. Pepper is right, better to have that bite if you need it. I have a couple of P-Basses with flats but always use the Nickels live. You never know what the room your playing sounds like. I can always get a good tone with the Nickels . Flats can sound muddy in some rooms. I have used and liked the DR sunbeams.They are very good strings. Any good brand of Nickels will do.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021