Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want a StingRay 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SpankBass, Apr 17, 2005.

1. My tax refund is just sitting there, BEGGING me to spend it on something. I figure that I HAVE to...ya know, gotta stimulate the economy. It would just be UN-AMERICAN of me to not buy a StingRay 5!

What I want to know from yous guys is:

-How is the B string on this monster?
    -Is it worth the price? I'm thinking of buying it new, its currently $1100-$1400 on musiciansfriend.com, but if I see a used with most of the options I want, I would go for it. I've seen used go for $750-$1000 around the net.

Here are the specs I'm thinking of:
    -Black Cherry Sunburst
    -Maple Fretboard
    -Clear Pickguard (who would want to cover up such a nice finish?)
    -Matching headstock

Or

-Vintage Sunburst
    -Maple Fretboard
    -Black pickgaurd
    -Matching headstock

Let me know what you guys think and thanks!

2. ashevans

ashevans

Dec 22, 2004
    Oxford, UK
    In all honesty I'd say put a black pickguard on the black cherry burst...

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'd vote for the Vintage Sunburst, but skip the matching headstock. Burst headstocks look really funny to me.

The B-strings on these are super nice, just be prepared to use taperwounds if you want to tighten it up more. They're definately worth the money, but check out www.basscentral.com as they have a great stock of used SR5's.

4. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I second the black pg idea, one because i love black pgs and two because i think the control cavity is routed out under the pg, so clear might not work so well unless u wanna see all the inner wiring. Other than that Id say go for it, SR5s kick ass

5. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    Yes there is a control cavity under the pickguard so it would look very strange with a clear pickguard. As far as the B, They are excellent mine is clear as a bell. And I have yet to see another bass brand that has the ease of setup like any MM bass. I have had 4 and they all take to extremely low action with no problems what so ever. I believe in a bass player 5 string shoot out a couple of years back, it was one of the top 5 strings on the market. I love mine!! Sorry but I gotta show it off:

[​IMG]

John

6. I did not know that. I saw a few pics out there with rays that had clear pick-guards, and no wiring was visable. Are you sure it is like that with ALL rays?

And I was looking through basscentral.com. Pretty good selection of used, but they seem a little more expensive than what I've seen on e-bay. But then again, it is hard to guarantee the quality of anything on e-bay. I'm really tempted to go new, as I never have had a new bass before, but I am still going to look around to see the best choice.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Rays and Sterlings don't have cavity routs, but Ray 5s do. That's why you see clear pgs on Rays and Sterlings, but not on the 5 bangers.

8. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

I've definitely seen a 5 string ray without a cavity route-It had a clear pickguard and there was no cavity. It might have been custom?

9. :cool: One of you guys that has one of these StingRay 5s, please measure the string spacing at the bridge and post it here please. Thanks!

10. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    To the best of my knowledge the sterling and the bongo are the only MM basses where the controls are mounted from the rear.

11. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

Or go the musicman site and find out for yourself!
    (Or perhaps a search might be appropriate, as this has been covered many times)

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've seen it too. I think it was a custom for an employee or something.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, the one that just had the control plate, like on a normal Ray? I think it was a sunburst with a black control plate.

14. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

Hmm, that is different from the one I have seen. The one I saw had the normal monster stringray 5 PG, just no front routed control cavity. It was black with a clear guard, and at first I thought I was just seeing the black finish inside the cavity, but upon further inspection it was rear routed.
    They had it used at a music store near my house, when I get home from college in a few weeks if they still have it I'll snap a picture of it.

15. The musicman site doesn't provide this spec. I did a search and couldn't find it. Sorry!

16. Don't have the info you want, just a plug for Bass Central. DON'T buy a Stingray from Ebay(Ebay just sucks for guitars and basses IMO), buy it used from a TB'er or off the Dudepit or off someone at the EB forum. Best bet, but it at Bass Central NEW....nothing like that experience bro, worth every penny. Just my opinion...

17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I recommend getting a SR5. I just got my third one. They are great, responsive basses that really benefit froma player who uses it enough to really learn its nuances. The flipside is that they can be unforgiving basses that will expose your technique if it's poor.

18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Keep your eyes open for good deals, my local dealer put all his Musicman on clearance prices and that's when I snapped up my SR5 which has a natural finish, a tortoise pickguard, and a maple neck.

19. It's something like 18mm or 11/16", as I recall.

Mike

20. I just got this one at Wild West Guitars in Riverside

http://www.wildwestguitars.com/ernieball/pages/stingray5_e43498.htm

They aren't as inexpensive as G.C. but it's absolutly straight as could be, I love it. G.C. is blowing out certian colors though they had a SR5 (San Marcos store, north San Diego Co.) for $818.00 brand new but it was orange sparkle which is not my first choice.