1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I want a tube amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by afzoomie67, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Alright. I played my bass through my guitar-playing bass teacher's Vox Valvetronix and it sounded so awesome, like..it sold me on tubes. It's just so warm. My bass, being a Hofner CT 500/1, just sounds great through the various tube amps I've played. The thing is, I don't have a ton of money to spend, nor do I want to spend thousands of dollars on an amp. A head is fine, and something that runs an 8 ohm load is preferable, seeing as my current amp has an 8 ohm speaker.

My budget is around $450 and less. I'd like something that's new in that range, although there isn't much seeing as money comes and goes. Also, I want something that can hold up to a band.. Is that possible?

2. Used peavey vb-2.

3. They look cool, but.. I can't find them on Ebay in my range. And haven't people used guitar heads with bass cabs? Does it work well?

4. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Yep. I was about to say the same thing...

5. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Most likely No, you can find used amps for under 450, more than likely they will need repair or tube replacement, so it is close to impossible to be up and running under 450$
    600 to 800 dollars is a good budget to find something and get it up and running to ideal specs.
    Yes plenty of low wattage tube heads under 450, but for live bass 100 to 200 watts is ideal.
    Guitar amps lack frequency response in the bass area, but there will be plenty of people to tell you
    that they work just fine. Technically you can plug into anything with a 1/4" jack.
    how good it sounds is a matter of opinion

6. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    You can get a used Traynor YBA200-2 for around 450$ Canadian, i don't know if that would go down due to exchange rate or up because they aren't sold in the USA.

Or any old Traynor YBA amp is a good start they all run around 400-500$ (CDN that is)

Or perhaps try the VHT Special 6 head, from the discussions on here I have heard that it can be used for a bass head with almost no issues and it can be had for around 200$...

7. Are the Traynors hard to find?

8. no, they are on the classifieds here usually.

9. +1. This would be an awesome choice.

10. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    If you look really hard you can find a Ampeg V4 for that kind of money.

It's all out there, you just have to troll CL all day, and hoof it around.

You NEVER know what you will find.... or how much it might cost. ;)

11. I shall look into one then.

12. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I've seen several local to me for $350-$450. Just be patient and keep your eyes open. Peavey Windsor and Bugera 1960 are found cheap ($150-$300) on craigslist and both are a good Marshall-like "100w" amp. I've seen Ampeg V4's and V4B's in the same price range too. I bought an old 112 to 115 converted Ampeg SB-12 for $500 before too.

13. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Of course the YBA-200 is sold in the US!

The older Traynors I would stay away from unless you have a good grasp of electronics, tubes.... Or know a good tech.

A new-ish YBA-200 and the aforementioned Peavey are great choices.

If you really love tube, save a bit more and look for a good Ampeg SVT-CL or Mesa 400..... Likely $800-1000.

Tube replacement is something you need to be careful of in all cases.... 8-12 new power tubes can cost from $150-400.

14. Yba200/-2 great amp, cheap, reliable

15. Is Bugera any good?

16. ampeg V4. i scored a 1969 for 300 bucks on craigslist. you cn find them for 400-500$ easily

17. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Its a can of worms right there!

18. I know it's made by Behringer..but I still want opinions.

19. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Complete last amp on my list of tube amps.

Behringer is not known for their quality. Bugera might be percieved as a step up.... I have tried most of their high end stuff.... not good IMO. Again just IME.

Peavey, Carvin, Traynor and Hartke may be percieved as lower end (not sure I agree... and I currently own nothing from any of them)... but look at some of the love for their products on TB.... then look for Bugera love..... just sayin'

20. ric4682

ric4682 Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2008
    I hate to be the bearer or bad news...but isn't the Vox Valvetronix series solid state?