I want a Warwick.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by popinfresh, May 3, 2005.

1. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yeah, i'm wanting something different from the Sterling, I still like the MM's but i'm wanting a change.

The question I have for you is..
    I want that traditional warwick growl, yet I wouldn't mind a be more fat/punchyness of a humbucker.
    Would a Corvette FNA Jazzman give me what I want?
    Theres two warwick users that I love the tone of, Dirk Lance (was Incubus) and Martinie (Mudvayne). I like martinie's growl but I love the cutting punch of Dirk's stage two.
    What'd be the best Warwick for what i'm after?

I do love the look/feel/sound of Bubinga, but an Ash bodied is fine with me too.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    A rarer model, but a Streamer Jazzman may be what youre after.
  3. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I've heard those terms used before :p.

honestly, the jazzman basses aren't too great. Just because a pickup is a humbucker, doesn't mean it'll sound a certain way. I'd recommend getting a Corvette. I'm pretty sure the pickups are individually humbucking. it'll give you that traditional warwick tone and stuff too.
  4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    That gave me a good chuckle.

Popinfresh: Try out a standard Corvette, or maybe a Proline. Either of those will do you a lot better than the FNA Jazzman (IMO)
  5. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Try and get them to build you an FNA Jazzman with an ash body, bubinga/wenge neck and maple fingerboard, that should give you the desired effect. ;)
  6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    My advice:
    Get a Corvette with bubinga body and put SD p-ups there.
    Ryan Martinie - bubinga Thumb
    Dirk Lance - SSII with SD p-ups
  7. WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    The Corvette standard should give the sound you want. Make sure you get a nice wide strap, you will need it.
  8. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I'll second this on both points. I love the sound of my Corvette Standard but it is heavy.
  9. hey popin!

i would definatly try a few out before deciding on purchasing a certain model, i took a stab in the dark and bought my streamer lx without playing it first, i was expecting a natural growl from the bass, something deep and thumpy, what i got was a modern trebly tone very vintage sounding, thank god i have grown to love it very much, but it would have been disasterous if i hadn't!

like the others said, a corvette model with the twin j pups will give you a very nice tone!! try them out!

10. wouldn't that be warwicks custom shop?

For that price you'd get something much better
  11. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yea, those suckers are HEAVY for their size. Try out different warwicks before you buy
  12. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    :eyebrow: isn't that a bit of a contradiction?
  13. simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    I have a Corvette FNA (not Jazzman) and it has an awesome growl. Ash body, maple cap and Wenge neck.

So I guess the FNA Jazzman is the same materials, just with an extra pickup?

I don't have a wide strap, and after playing for about 2 hours if gets a bit sore. So yes, I recommend a nice wide soft leather strap.
  14. ale_vanlager

Jun 30, 2004
    Buffalo NY

I have 3 Warwicks, a corvette proline 6. a streamer lx 6 and a corvette standard 6. All with basslines pickups. Compared to the MECs, the range of tones you can get is way better with the SD basslines. I compared a streamer 5 wide with MECs with my LX6 and it was like night and day. More clarity (then again, different neck woods?)
  15. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I agree they are heavy but the perfect balance more than makes up for it, at least it did for me. I also agree with others about a nice thick, padded strap, will help in the long run.
  16. doh! my bad!

i'll settle for the "modern trebly tone" sounding option then! :D
  17. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Oh, there ya go. You had me a bit confused on that one. :p
  18. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    I'm going to restrain here...
  19. JoshB

JoshB A great man is always willing to be little. -RWE Supporting Member

Ditto...the balance is GREAT!! I can play my corvette fretless just fine sitting in a chair or standing with a strap.

BTW....Levy's makes a GREAT 3" padded leather strap...nevermind the $60 or so price tag...if you can afford a Warwick, you can afford an extra 60 bucks to save your shoulder. ENJOY IT!!
  20. Thumb or Corvette.

Since you mentioned Mudvayne, I should bring up to you that Paul from Slipknot also used a Corvette on their first album (and I think the second and third one too).