Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I Want Ampeg! (but doesn't everyone...?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lex_the_punk, Jul 8, 2001.

1. Hey guys, howzitgoin'?

Ok, here's the story: i'm want to upgrade my bass rig. I'm definetly sold on the Ampeg SVT810e, all i need now is to choose a head to make that big boy sing. I think I want either an Ampeg "Classic" SVT CL, or an Ampeg SVT 2 Pro.

My band plays Dumb Ass Punk Rock music, and i'm kinda going for the tone/sound etc that Matt Freeman from Rancid gets, if you're familiar with it (he uses the CL, i think).

The 2 Pro seems like a good buy, but it just doesn't have the look of the Classic. I think they have pretty much the same features, barring of course the graphic eq on the 2 Pro which i don't think I'd use if i had it anyway.

Any opinions etc. would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Lexy

2. Both are fine, but the SVT 2 would be more versatile if you ever need the other knobs and switches. The SVT 2 is also rack mountable, which would protect it. This rig you are talking of is pretty expensive. I have the SVT 3 pro that I recently purchased. Tube preamp and solid state power amp. The plus of the 3 is that it is so much lighter than the other amps. I have a BSE410HLF right now but am going to buy an 8x10 in the near future. My band has two guitarists, both of which are getting new half stacks, so I think I will need the extra speakers, as they crank their amps to about 13.

3. Don't forget to get additional roadies to haul that 810.

4. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    There's an Ampeg SVT Classic on E-bay for around $800 I believe. Claiming to be "unused". If that makes your decision any easier, go for it!!

The pro II has a graphic. I also agree to get a rack mountable head.

Also, with the tube heads weighing one hellacious ton each, better to get your rack chewed up a little than the amp case itself. If you got roadies, even they can't avoid the awkwardness of carrying 80-90 pounds in a very small package.

You may wanna try looking into the SVT 4 Pro. Lotsa headroom there vs the 300 watt tuber. I think it's 1600 watts bridged into 4 ohms.

Good luck and punk away.

LKaye

5. Man, go for it either way...you CAN'T go wrong with Ampeg....they sound like a bass amp should. I can't put my finger on the sound...but its just RIGHT! Even their little BA combos have killer tone!

6. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Id go with the Pro II or the SVT Pro 4.Either would be excellent.FWIW most folks seem to agree the 6x10 sounds better than the 8x10 and of course its smaller/lighter.Just somethin to consider.Good luck!

7. Everyone wants ampeg? that sounds a little biased. The sound of an ampeg is like nails on a chalkboard to me. some of my favorite bassists use ampeg, but i would never buy one myself.

and i'd go for a 6x10 instead of that 8x10. from the ones i've played, the extra two 10's didn't really make that much of a difference. just thinking about that rig makes my back hurt.
    ;)

8. I will continue that you can't go wrong with Ampeg. They sound great. I would go for the SVT3 or 4. Both have more power (albeit MOSFET) than the SVT2PRO or CL. The 4 is the big gun and has killer tone.

I was at guitar Center the other day and I would defenately buy the 6x10 over the 8x10. Since it's both ported and has the high-end horn you can get a much more even sound. Plus, it's a little smaller and lighter.

9. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    if I even had the money and storage space for a tube head SVT with a 6x10 or a 8x10 I would porbably try to avoid playing it anywhere near a punk band... do you really want your singer or one of the guitarists to trash your new rig during a reharshal/gig?

also bear in mind that re-tubing is a helluva extra money to put into that amp given it's pretty expensive in the first place.

if afterall you still want the rig, have the money involved in it's purchase and have means of transportation big enough to haul this mammoth rig then you shouldn't let the cosmetic differences between the SVT 2 and the CL be the deciding factor. at the price you are paying you should try both and choose the one that sounds best and if the differences are non relevant than choose by which lets you more tone shaping options.you certainly don't want a one trick pony weighing some 200Lbs. and costing a few grands.

10. "Trash your new rig"???? How so? If you care that much about people liking your rig you're not in a punk band. Who cares. If you're worried about people trashing the way it will sound, or the quality of it, you've obviously never heard an Ampeg.

Mike Herrera from MxPx (punk) uses an SVT Classic and SVT4-PRO into 2 8x10's and 1 2x15. His rig sounds awesome, and is cool enough for punk.

11. I believe he was refering to punk folks tendancy to break things. Not make fun of them.

12. More power? ha ha ha! An SVT-CL/2/vintage would eat an AVT3/4 for breakfast. No contest IMO.

Oh yeah, you don't have to trash your rig to be punk...punk is not all about safety pins aggro and mess...more of a mindset...

13. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Uhmmm
    1600 Watts in Bridge Mono of the SVT4 PRO ... vs 300 Watts of the SVT CL
    If I do the Math Right, it is a about 5.33 Times the POWER...

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yo, lex. You'll dig the SVT Classic if you got the back for it. I've got a '98 still under warranty that's hardly been played. Custom cover, too. Email me if you want it, we'll talk.

15. On paper it looks good, in reality 300w of tube power will blow it away. Even 50w of tube will blow away 300w of solid-state...

16. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    A Watt is a Watt.
    A TUBE Watt is not more powerfull than a Mosfet Watt. They are the same.

It may appear to you that it is Louder.
    That is because how the tube responds and slightly overdrives the signal.

17. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Uh Oh!Here we go again.The great tube vol verse SS debate.Not me!Im headin fer the hill's.Good luck!

18. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I agree with Luis Fabara , a Watt is a Watt.
    There is no such thing like Tube amp islouder than transistor with the same out put Wattage.

My SVT 2 pro is weaker than my WT 400, it doesnot sound better either except hotter and heavier, but you have many more knobs and graphic e.q.

19. Sounds like it needs a visit to a technician. That thing should blow the Eden away with regard to perceived volume.

20. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I swear everything is healthy with my SVT2 except I missed 1 knob for selecting the midrange .
    I tried with ACME B2, Goliath 3 and Warwick 2x10 plus 1x15. Even the WT 400 is louder than my SM400S 500 watts.
    Perhaps the maker put more watts than it should be, he..he..