Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want an SVT thats not an SVT...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, Feb 14, 2002.

1. I've noticed that a bunch of players who's tone I really like are using SVTs, and I want to get a tone similar to that. However, I don't want to use something that everyone else is using, I want to have more of an individual voice. So is there any amp that are similar sounding to SVTs, but have their own distinct tone?

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Everyone that has heard my SansAmp RBI > Carvin poweramp rig comments about the SVT-ishness of my current favorite RBI setting...which is the one SansAmp suggests for a SVT sound! :D

3. I love Aguilar and have heard people compare aguilar to SVTs

4. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I just order an Aguilar. I also loved the Ampeg Classic but the Aguilar was my choice.

5. Agreed, i'm getting a new Aguilar very soon. Most likely will be a DB750 but maybe a DB659 with a QSC poweramp.

6. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    what about using different tubes in an SVT? I heard that it gives you a different sound.

7. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW

Same here...either that or another Mesa 400+!

Aaaahhh Gassss!!!:D

8. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Bassically it comes down to this...an amp will only enhance your own natural sound. Odds are, you will not get the same tone as anyone else. You can get very close, but not the same. An SVT is a very coloring amp. It has it's own particular sound, but you can still hear "you". I have just purchased an Aguilar head, which I find to have the same warmth and close to the same tone as an SVT(I used to have one), but more versatile. It is a MUCH more hi-fi sounding amp. The Aguilar is deeper, and much clearer in the highs than the SVT. It is also a heck of a lot more reliable!

You can get really close to that SVT tone with an SWR IOD pre-amp as well(or even an Ampeg SVP). A little cheaper than Aguilar, maybe not as clean, but still has can give you that SVT growl.

9. Ken Nahora

Ken Nahora

Jun 1, 2001
    The Trace Elliot V8 is a great sounding all-tube head, with more power than an SVT.
    Too bad they're now extinct. (If you haven't heard, Trace Elliot closed its doors recently. No more Trace Elliot.) :(

10. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Darn good question, my friend:confused:

11. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Hmph....I don't see anything on the <a href="http://www.trace-elliot.com">Trace Elliot website</a> about them "closing their doors.":confused:

Where'd you hear this anyhoo?

12. it's stupid not to buy something that you like because everyone else has it.

13. I'll second that one.

14. Its not so much because everyone else has it, its just a really common sound. I used the SVT as a starting point so that I can find my own unique voice. If I can find something thats similar to the SVT, and I like it, I'll buy it. But I won't buy a sub-par amp just because no one else is using one.

Its kind of weird and hard to explain.

15. in that case, just experiment with the EQ settings. or use a unique bass.

16. Ken Nahora

Ken Nahora

Jun 1, 2001
    The rumors of Trace Elliot's demise were circulating freeely at last month's NAMM show (TE had no booth, BTW).
    Apparently Trace Elliot layed-off most of its workers in December. Only 3 or 4 workers remain to maintain the vital functions (and the facade). The web site's continued existence means nothing.
    Is Trace Elliot dead? It's more like TE is in a coma, on life support. Do the math: No workers means no production. How long can a company survive without producing product? When do you officially pronounce it dead?
    Gibson "saved" TE a few years ago. Being "saved" by Gibson has proven to be the kiss of death for many companies that ultimately languish in a weird never-never land of mismanagement.
    TE: Get well soon. Otherwise, RIP.

17. Davemell0

Davemell0

Nov 19, 2001
    SW Virginia
    I'm really happy with my Sunn 300T, I also liked the all tube mesa/boogie bass amps, you could look for a used bass buster, its too bad they don't make them any more. the Sunn is similar to the SVT in many ways, but it offers the flexibility of a modern amp.

18. That sucks for all the Brits, as I know Trace was one of the most available amps to them. I've got half a mind to set-up an Eden shop in London and just import them by the boatload!