Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i want clicks and thumps

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by spunkz, Jan 10, 2001.

1. spunkz

spunkz

Jan 10, 2001
    what kind of pedals or technique should i use to get thumpin and clicking sounds when i play? i mean i want them to come out with the notes all at one time. sorta like the way fieldy plays but lower.

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hmmmm.....well, fieldy's trick is to mic the horn of his cabinets...i dunno what effect could emulate this, but if you have a cab with a horn turn your lo's and hi's all the way up, your mids down and crank your attenuator till it squeals...that should do the trick...

3. do what he said, but also drop tune your E string to half step lower than B (if your playing on a 4 string), and also slap your string into your pickup.

4. Technique wise, this is typically done by slapping and popping. Popping is fairly easy, all it is is lifting a string up and letting it go so that it snaps against the frets. This is usually done on the D and G strings. It should only be done hard enough to get a good click sort of sound.. really hard popping is a good way to kill your strings quickly.

Slapping is done by hitting the string with your thumb in sort of a fast wrist twisting motion. For the best sound this should be done near the neck.. some players actually slap right on the neck. Again, you shouldn't use too much force.. the motion should be pretty fluid and feel natural. Hard slapping probably won't kill strings quite as fast as hard popping.. but you could hurt your wrist. Most players do this on the E and A strings (B too, if you have one), but it will take some work to be able to do it on the strings above your lowest one. Again, you shouldn't use too much force.. the motion should be pretty fluid and feel natural. Hard slapping probably won't kill strings quite as fast as hard popping.. but you could hurt your wrist.

The real challenge is to be able to put the slap and the pop together. In the bass section of http://www.harmonycentral.com they have some pretty decent slapping lessons. I'm pretty sure that's what I used mostly when I started out. There are a lot of good slapping resources online, but I can't think of many right now. There are some advanced lessons at http://www.mocamusic.com and http://www.victorwooten.com , but you may want to hold off on those for now. Some of the videos on the Mocamusic site might be good for getting an idea of what slapping looks like.. I know I had a really hard time visualizing what it should be when I started out.

Getting a good slap sound involves a lot of different things. Playing technique is a huge factor.. it will probably take a lot of practice before it sounds anything like what you want, but don't get frustrated. Slapping with really old strings probably won't sound very good and is usually more difficult than with new strings. Slapping is easier and requires less force with lower string height, but you may need to make other adjustments to the bass and your normal playing technique to avoid buzzing. Most slappers boost their highs and lows and cut the mids a bit, but you may want to add the mids back in when playing with your fingers. A finger tone without any mids won't stand out very well in most bands.

5. The Mocamusic site is being redesigned right now I guess.. hopefully it will be back up soon.

6. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    Its in your hands! But... A dual band compressor might do the trick. I only started to get this stuff after I owned a big amp. This allows you to use the headroom and dynamic range of it to more easily pronounce every nuance. An acoustic upright player will tell you different.

jc