Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wilser, Mar 14, 2005.

1. guys, I'm looking for a distortion pedal. Now, the tone I'm looking for is like the one Blacky of Voivod used to get. I emailed him and he explained what he used. It was basically a Marshall 900 guitar head that was cranked max and had 2 out of the 4 tubes removed so they would be overloaded. Is there any pedal that can do that? maybe one of those electro-harmonix (ehx) muffs?

Thank you.
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Hey, we've got a Voivod fan in the house! Since Jaylor (Jason Newsted) is currently playing with them, he sounds great using Ampeg heads and IIRC (haven't talked to him in a while) he was using a Marshall head for distortion, as well as a Big Muff.

When I play Voivod covers, a Big Muff is my weapon of choice.

I think the Big Muff should do ...what about their variations? the English Muff'n? Double Muff? Pi? what do you think?
  4. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I second this.

Besides, for a first time distortion, you can't go wrong with Muff.

5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Owned a Double Muff, the grit was there, but it lacked the low end. A Big Muff will hold more bottom, but still not perfect without mods IMO.

English Muff'n...mine hasn't arrived yet, but I'll let you know as soon as it does.
  6. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    One of the best distortion sounds that I have come across is to run a BIGMUFF [I have one of the older Russian [green] ones] into another distortion pedal like the boss bass OD, it is the closest thing I have found to using a guitar amp; and personally I like using a JMC 800 instead of a 900.
  7. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I use a Muff Pi, and I'm very happy with the sounds I can get out of it. My tone is so saturated in gain when it's engaged, it sounds like hell has erupted. :) It's easy to get some good sounds from it quickly, being that there are only three knobs. However, if you don't dig the Muff, try the Marshall Guv'nor II. That's my 'main' distortion, it's a great buy.

Graeme :bassist:
  8. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    big Muff is a good distortion box. I like my Russian re-issue (black box)

I'll have to try that Big Muff into my Boss Bass OD to get my low end back...