1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

i want double humbuckers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by billyhowell, Sep 17, 2008.

1. billyhowell

billyhowell

Jan 5, 2008
    illinois
    all i have had are p-bases. started with a rogue, then a peavey, now a fender. i am interested in a more aggressive sound. i have looked at the thunderbird and an sg, reviews said they were all neck heavy. i let go of my bass alot so i need it balanced. anyone know of a well balanced bass with the pickups i want stock?

2. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    Musicman Stingray HH...nuff said

3. billyhowell

billyhowell

Jan 5, 2008
    illinois
    i'll check it out. that's what i want is suggestions. more give me more!

4. mokkat

mokkat

Jan 22, 2008
    A tribute or usa G&L L2000

5. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    Schecter

got a nice punch, no neck dive, not as expensive as musicman

not sure if some of their stuff would be considered humbucking but its got the sound i think ur lookin for.

6. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    +1 on g&l and if you're strapped for cash check out the rondo website for a steal

7. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    +1 to the Stingray HH-I tried one a few months ago and was impressed. Too broke to buy one but impressed, nonetheless!

I have an ESP B-404 loaded with stock EMG twin humbuckers and no appreciable neck dive. VERY aggressive as you might expect.

If you prefer passives, you might want to check out a vintage T-40, BUT, its been so long since I had one, that I cant recall if it had diving tendencies.

We have plenty of T-40 owners on here who can give a much more recent reference that I can.
    Anybody?

8. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    Sandberg??

9. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    A Stingray HH would be a great bass. Definitely check out a G&L L-2000, American or Tribute versions - versatility out the headstock. A Warwick Corvette $$ comes to mind as well, and Trabens have been getting some love as well. Personally, I would also definitely try to check out the Human Base BaseX.oc - incredible bass.

10. billyhowell

billyhowell

Jan 5, 2008
    illinois
    yeah i'm not 100% on what humbucking is, i was considering a fender jazz bass, because of the different pickup configuration. the pickups are orientated to where i have seen humbuckers placed, but from what i understand they are single coil pickups reverse wound to cancel unwanted noise. that would make one humbucker right?

11. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Ibanez SRX. Probably not as good as a G&L or Musicman (though it's good enough that you could like it better), but a lot less money, and it probably balances better.

12. billyhowell

billyhowell

Jan 5, 2008
    illinois
    what i want is a fender p-bass with double humbuckers. is there anything like that out there? i looked at the stingray, i found it kinda ugly. i mean come on, think about women. u luv when they r great in bed, but if they r hot, even better. sorry, best analogy i could think of.

13. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Can't really prove it, but this kills...

Schecter Studio5 with custom Kent Armstrong humbuckers wired Series/Parallel with Aguilar OBP-3.

After this was done I promptly sold my Musicman... it couldn't compete. I just absolutely love how the Schecters play and their build quality.

Now I'm doing the same thing to a Schecter CV-5 with a Jazz/Musicman configuration that will put 1 custom Kent Armstrong Jazz in neck, and 2 matching jazzes in the bridge MM sized route wired with a 3 way switch to select jazz #2, 3, or both in Series. I cannot wait to hear it.

As with the humbuckers, Brian at Low End is doing all the work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I think that what you want is a peavey t-40. It's got a p-bass type neck, and somewhat similar body and two pickups. Whether you will find the overall asthetics cool or ugly is up to you. Though if you find the 'ray ugly, then you may think the t-40 is georgous. I have one stock and one with darkstar pickups. Also, it's heavy enough that you will never have neck dive.

If you have the cash to drop, check out the Lakland Skyline Decade. It's probably around 1500 bucks, but it can be equiped with single coil or humbuckers, and it sounds awesome. The neck is between a p and j size.

The G&L tribute is great also

15. billyhowell

billyhowell

Jan 5, 2008
    illinois
    that is one sexy looking bass, how much she cost?

16. Huh... perhaps you should go to a music store and just try a whole whack of basses. See which one you like most. But if you want a Fender bass with dual humbuckers... either the American Deluxe Jazzes, or that Roscoe Beck model.

17. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    +1 for the G&L L2500

18. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
  19. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I think we have a winner.

[​IMG]

20. BEADGCF

BEADGCF

Apr 4, 2008
    Mill Valley, CA
    [​IMG]

I love mine. I've played on a couple I didn't like but mine is great.