Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want everyone's opinions on a Spector as a step up bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wdinc01, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Okay today I was at Guitar Center and I was checking out the basses. I had my mind set to check out the Spectors to see if I really wanted one. Well I looked through, most of them were out of my price range, and then my eyes landed on one that was $250. If I remember correctly (I'm pretty sure I'm right), it was a Performer 4DXL in matte black. Well I tried it out, but couldn't hear myself over some kid who was slapping the hell out of another bass (I always end up near one of these people). But hey, I liked it from what I did try.

So, what's everyone's opinion on this bass? Is there a reason not to get it? Is it promising for upgrades? Please do help. I wanna get this as soon as possible, since it was a green tag. Also, what should I look for if I decide to give this a complete inspection before purchase.

And slightly off-topic, but what exactly is a detuner?

2. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Great basses, but not really my scene. I find the tone, well at least the tone out of the ones I have played, to be a bit sterile.

3. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    The Performer series are going to be your typical Korean made bass. They're great for a beginner's bass.
    What is your price range? If I were you and can spare around $500, I'd look on ebay for a Rebop. These are Czech made basses and are a LOT better quality than the Performers.

4. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
  5. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    +1 The Rebop's are would be true step up bass IMO from a beginner bass. The performer series to me are just better quality beginner basses.

6. bassistjo

bassistjo

Jun 22, 2005
    there great one of the trans siberian orcastra bassists plays one so dont I

7. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    i agree with some of the guys here......get a REBOP

8. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    the czech series spectors are really quite nice basses. my teacher took it out a lot more than his lakland, which cost quite a bit more.

of course, its slightly more pricey than the beginner basses.

9. Well I went ahead and got the bass. The problem is I don't have $500, and this one was $250 (which is why I got it). So do you people think I should take it back and save up for a ReBop?

10. Thats kind of up to you. You need to decide wether you need a better bass. You have the performer now, so you need to decide if its tone, quality, etc. is all you need for now. If you feel you want more, go ahead and take it back, save some cash and get the Rebop. A repob is the bass my brother owns, and its what I tought myself on (without his knowladge) for about 6 months before actually springing for my first bass. That bass is one of the best I've ever played. The construction was solid, finish and hardware were beautiful, to this day the best Low-B string I've ever touched, but the tone is what got it for me.

So you decide what you need and how much you'd be willing to spend. Also consider if you like the bass you've got.

11. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Yes - for $250 you made a move sideways as opposed to upward.

...and you said you couldn't even hear yourself the first visit?!? Not the best situation to start the decision-making process.

12. I'd say I went up compared to my Squier.

Really I think it's a great bass. But I've decided to take it back after discovering a HORRIBLE fret buzz on the fifth fret. So I guess I'll look at Some of the other Spectors they have. I probably won't be getting a ReBop, but I'll try getting something.

...maybe I'll try out that weird solid body Gretcsh I found...

13. Okay, what about a Legend 4? And also, could someone explain to me the advantages of active versus passive? My friend once describe it as making all the pick ups sound the same.

Like if I put a (these may or may not exist, but for the purpose of this example) EMG 81 into a guitar and a EMG 85 into the same guitar, they'll both sound the same.

14. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    active vs passive electronics, or pickups?

afaik only emg makes active pickups. sound is quite trebly, modern. there's a lot of tone shaping done IN the pickup itself, to make a jazz sound like a jazz and a P sound like a P, but thats basically the idea. think different models have different sounds, the freq-response curve is all different.

passive electronics - example vol/vol/tone
    active electronics - example vol/vol/treb/bass

active electronics also boost the signal between your bass and whatever youre plugging it into for better signal/noise ratio.

check for a battery in the electronics cavity. the presence of one confirms that SOMETHING is active.

15. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    ReBops are very good values.

European neck-thrus are EXTREMELY good values.

Both are pretty awesome basses, and this comes from a dude who for years couldn't stand Spectors.

16. Thanks ehque.

So generally active basses just sound better? Not just tonally, but going through an amp?

17. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Not "better" or "worse", simply different. With Active circuitry you can both boost as well as cut frequencies with little-to-no noise, while with a passive bass you can only roll off frequencies (the infamous "Tone knob").

Bassists seem to used active basses more and to better effect than guitarists who have active electronics, which is why your guitarist is completely and utterly wrong... and sounds very much like a guitarist - try out an EMG-loaded bass vs. one with Barts and tell me "all the pick ups sound the same". :rollno: (by his analogy, if an 81 and 85 sound the same why make them both?) They're useful to have for quick on-stage changes both for outright sound change as well as a subtler "this room is making me sound like mud" fix. I personally have actives on 6 of my 7 and can't see a "main" bass not, but there's a special place in my heart for my passive Ibanez RKB 900 - with a pick it's like a sledgehammer to the forehead, and I love that about it. :D

It's also been noted that active electronics give a much higher signal-to-noise ratio, and EMGs in particular are internally grounded, eliminating any chance of grounding issues.

Best advice is to find the best bass you can afford (even if it means saving a while - I spent 2.5 years putting together my "dream rig" and know about the pain if waiting) and weigh all the factors: playability, electronics, construction, looks (yes, it matters) and find what fits you best.

...It took me 15 years to reach that final place. ;)

18. I used a performer to get by for a couple months a while back and I must say I hated that damned thing, and good riddance. It was the most dull sounding piece Ive ever played. Perhaps it was that particular bass, but I wouldnt recommend one. There are a lot better choices in my opinion.

I agree with the others who said its an ok beginner bass, but youd be better off with something like a MIM Fender.

19. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Im glad you mentioned the Legend Series because I own one so I can comment on them. They are, in my opinion, a great step-up bass for a beginner. Mine is only a half year old and I got it just to see how Spectors were. I bought this bass not having ever played one before and I don't regret buying it one bit. Fairly cheap and an overall outstanding bass. The figuring on the top of the one I have is amazing, I also love the color too. P/J, 24 Frets, Gold Hardware, EMG pups... just a few things that I really enjoy about this bass. As for the tone? It has a beautiful sounding slap tone! Also love the fingerstyle sound I get out of 'er. The EMG pickups are just great along with the active preamp. I HIGHLY recommend these basses.

20. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    I have to agree about the Legend 4. I just bought one off of ebay (after having auditioned several different Spectors at music stores). From the moment I picked it up, I knew it was the bass I've been looking for. It's got active electronics, so you can shape the sound in very different ways. It's an amberburst quilted top finish that is absolutely beautiful. The thing feels SOLID and the fretboard is amazing. I can bend strings and play faster with more ease than on any other bass I've ever owned.

If I could afford an NS or a Euro, I probably would have stepped up to that. But for $300 on ebay, it was a steal. Now if only it had a case...I hate gig bags!

:)