Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I Want Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Systemofadowner, May 21, 2002.

1. Systemofadowner

Systemofadowner

Feb 24, 2002
    Mass
    Thanks guys for saving me on the Svt3pro, i tried it out and was not satisfied. I am still looking around, so i was wondering if you guys have any good suggestions for heads, not hella expensive, but as long as we can find em on ebay for a good price its cool. we play metal-ish music (pantera, metallica, sabbath) so any good suggestions would be helpful

2. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Just go try every brand. They each have their own sound. There are way too many to recommend and everyone has their own taste. My recommendation would be an Ampeg but you already said you dont like them, so...

3. You could check out a Gallien-Kruger. They have sorta Ampeg-ish sound, but its solid state so a little less warm, and plenty of punch and growl for Metal. so, less maintenance, and pretty damn fine sound too. You could also try Hartke, they're nice and cheap and pretty powerful, I don't know if they have the tone you like though.

4. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    If you don't like the ampeg, I'd try an SWR, or the new Peavey Pro 500.

I really really don't like hartke, but to each his own.

5. Systemofadowner

Systemofadowner

Feb 24, 2002
    Mass
    anything else? I'm looking for an avatarish quality/price deal which is hard to find The tone should be some what metalish but doesn't have to be i just want a good tone. My guitar is already metaly enough.

6. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I'm not sure what you mean by "metaly" but try out Hartke, they're loud, sound great (imho), and don't cost a whole lot. Check out www.mattsmusic.com as they seem to have the best deals on Hartke stuff that is if you decide to buy. Make sure you've tried it first. I recommend the HA3500, 5000 or 7000 amp heads. Quadzilla runs the 7000 through two Avatar cabs and seems to like it alot.

7. Systemofadowner

Systemofadowner

Feb 24, 2002
    Mass
    ok now i'm definetly interested in the hartke 7000. A few questions about it. Is is a tube or solid state? How many watts? And what kind of tone does it give?

8. The Hartke HA-7000 Has 2 power amps that put out 350 watts each. It can be Bi-amped but it cannot be bridged. It Is a Solid State power amp and it has a Solid State and a Tube Preamp wich can be used either on its on or blended. There is only one tube in the tube preamp or so I have been told. Many say they cant hear a difference between the preamos but I can. It has a graphic EQ I am not sure how many bands since it is at the practice space. Low and High contours, adjustabl frequency and balance between the 2 cabs for biamping. I have had mine for a while I have it biamped through a Genz Benz 2-10 XB and a Carvin RL-1-18 and I Love the sound. I highly recommend this amp but you must check it out first Hartke is a Love or hate it typoe of thing... More so with thier cabs but I suggest trying it out and as many other amos as you can before you buy. You should Buy what you like the best not what we tell you to.

9. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    What kind of tone are you looking for? As far as I'm concerned, if you know what you're doing with the Graphic EQ you can get any sound you want. Keep in mind your bass effects your tone quite a bit too.