I want it back

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wadge, Apr 6, 2005.

1. The first bass I had was sold to me by my cousin. In a previous life it was a fender P but it had received a neck change (ESP). I soon wanted to mod it and got a luither to sand it down whereupon I found that the body had been dug out and filled with hard metal. Anyway, I've changed pups and bridge and it was not bad.

Soon after I was lucky enough to get my hands of a 79 fender P which I love and will keep forever. I've also added a Yamaha TRB-6p, a Toby Pro 6, a Da Capo ABG and recently a really old fender Jazz (which I haven't managed to date cause the previous owner decided it would be cool to strip it down to bare wood, lettering and all - he deserves to be strung up). So basically my first bass was not getting played at all.

Recently, someone offered to buy that first bass for cheap and seeing that I was not using it I accepted. As soon as the deal was struck I regreted it but having given my word I felt I had to go through with the sale. However, he phoned a few days later and said that other things came up and he could no longer buy the bass. I was very happy.

I guess I'm sentimental but I couldn't get rid of my first bass. Ok, sorry for the long post but I was wondering did any of you ever sell/trade a bass and regret it soon after. Tell me your stories.
  2. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

I never intend to selll my first bass - gonna keep it for nostalgia sake! It's a crappy Westfield P-Bass, can't play it for anything now (only just upgraded yesterday, heh ;P).
  3. Yeah, sold my first (nice) bass when I was too young to know better - still regret it. After that day, I promised myself I would never sell my gear ever again.

Then again, I also promised myself I would only buy gear that I really wanted and would use. Therefore I only have three basses, even though another three would be nice.....

If its a POS, then get rid of it, but if its a nice instrument, I say keep it for old times sake. Heck, one day you may even take pity and give it a play.... ;)
  4. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    I say keep your first bass even if it is a bit of a POS. I had an Ibanez as a first bass and regret selling it. Not because it played exceptionally well or looked fantastic, but more for sentimental reasons.
  5. I dont intend on selling any of my basses!! ever!!
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My refusal to sell is twofold:

Sentimental- Dur.

Resale- It's been modded with EMG electronics and an Schaller roller bridge.These parts together are worth more than the bass they're in, and the EMGs were added, well...poorly. I've got a pickgaurd blank sitting here, waiting to go on it to cover up the issues.

So, it's really not worth selling, and I figure by just keeping it, and not re-gutting it for some $$$, I've got the advantage of always having a bass, even if finances make me sell all my other ones.
  7. First Bass: Unbranded P, sold it, didn't regret it :)
    Second: Squire J, sold it, didn't regret it :)
    Third: Aria ProII SBR60, sold it, boy did I regret it... :bawl:

I got a job relocation just at the point that I realised that I'd outgrown the tone on my Aria, or rather I realised that it had none - played great, sounded dull. As I was moving 250 miles south I quit my band and decided to sell my gear - what a bad idea. With all the other changes going on and not having the drive of a band to play with I didn't replace any of my kit - for 10 years!!! :scowl:

The upside is that, after working for a further 10 years, I now have more money than talent :D . And once our current, minor, financial glitch is out of the way I'll be able to aford to indulge GAS properly :hyper:

My current bass, a Spector NS4CR, is a keeper - I've learned my lesson now. It should hopefully be joined by a US Spector this year - two basses at once, now there's a novelty on TB (NOT!).
  8. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah, my first bass was a POS Samick... I do miss it though, just for sentimental reasons. ;)
  9. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    My first bass was also a POS samick that felt amazing, I wish I had kept it and modded it.
  10. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I traded up my first bass (a cheapie Ibanez 4-string) for a 5-string (a cheapie Ibanez 5.) I hate that 5. The neck's uncomfortable and the bass doesn't sound good unless the action's high. I never use it and thought about getting rid of it, by perhaps donating it, but I don't want to subject Save the Music to my garbage bass.

I keep it, mainly for nostalgia (I played my first gig and first paying gig with that bass) and to remind myself of where I've come from and how good I have it now.

I ain't getting rid of it.
  11. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

sold my first bass , 1972 Fender Jazz , natural finish with
    maple neck and black block inlays ...
    to purchase a new 1973 Fender Precision , natural finish with
    rosewood neck .

yeah , i wish i still had the Jazz , but i do love my P-Bass .
  12. milos.otic

Mar 14, 2005
    it's a p.o.s. memphis that wouldn't sell for more than $100, but i sold every basketball card and toy i owned back in the day to buy it. been tempted to sell it before, but i don't think i ever could.
  13. my first one is an absolute P.O.S . it was fretted wrong (now you´ll never sty in tune :rolleyes: ) and the winding post of the e-string was half ripped out :rollno: , also the intire hardware was ****ty or not working. last time i ever buy a chinese product! :ninja:
  14. actually i would pay someone to take it away just to have it out of my sight. :D
    it doesn´t even suit as firewood cuz the finish is toxic and mustn´t be inhaled.
  15. if you cover 100% of the shipping ill take it you dont even have to pay me ;)
  16. Ruffus-hound

Apr 6, 2005
    my 1st was a pos lottis jazzmaster. she was ugly and could be
    a real b----h. but man i knew her well and could get some real funky slap out of her. selling that old girl was one bad day!
  17. Im too much of a hoarder te sell any of my bass stuff

which is good, and bad at the same time
  18. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I had a Conklin GT-7 that I got rid of because I did not play it as much and traded it for something that I can not even remember what it was. Right now I really miss that bass and my wife told me not to get rid of it.
  19. Wahey! Ditto. whacked some new pickups in it though. Plays alright, A string is much louder than the others though...Oh and a dodgy tone pot (does nothing). But I'll never sell it.
  20. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    i still have my first bass, a squier 5-string P-bass, I did refinish it though. I did trade second bass though, it was an american deluxe p-bass. I only regret gettin rid of that thing because it was so beautiful, maple neck, sunburst, tort guard, sure was pretty, but I didnt like the sound (it was the old 9v system so maybe thats why) Anywho I got a MM stingray with the trade in so now im a happy camper