1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I want it back

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wadge, Apr 6, 2005.

1. The first bass I had was sold to me by my cousin. In a previous life it was a fender P but it had received a neck change (ESP). I soon wanted to mod it and got a luither to sand it down whereupon I found that the body had been dug out and filled with hard metal. Anyway, I've changed pups and bridge and it was not bad.

Soon after I was lucky enough to get my hands of a 79 fender P which I love and will keep forever. I've also added a Yamaha TRB-6p, a Toby Pro 6, a Da Capo ABG and recently a really old fender Jazz (which I haven't managed to date cause the previous owner decided it would be cool to strip it down to bare wood, lettering and all - he deserves to be strung up). So basically my first bass was not getting played at all.

Recently, someone offered to buy that first bass for cheap and seeing that I was not using it I accepted. As soon as the deal was struck I regreted it but having given my word I felt I had to go through with the sale. However, he phoned a few days later and said that other things came up and he could no longer buy the bass. I was very happy.

I guess I'm sentimental but I couldn't get rid of my first bass. Ok, sorry for the long post but I was wondering did any of you ever sell/trade a bass and regret it soon after. Tell me your stories.

2. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

I never intend to selll my first bass - gonna keep it for nostalgia sake! It's a crappy Westfield P-Bass, can't play it for anything now (only just upgraded yesterday, heh ;P).

3. Yeah, sold my first (nice) bass when I was too young to know better - still regret it. After that day, I promised myself I would never sell my gear ever again.

Then again, I also promised myself I would only buy gear that I really wanted and would use. Therefore I only have three basses, even though another three would be nice.....

If its a POS, then get rid of it, but if its a nice instrument, I say keep it for old times sake. Heck, one day you may even take pity and give it a play.... ;)

4. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I say keep your first bass even if it is a bit of a POS. I had an Ibanez as a first bass and regret selling it. Not because it played exceptionally well or looked fantastic, but more for sentimental reasons.

5. I dont intend on selling any of my basses!! ever!!

6. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My refusal to sell is twofold:

Sentimental- Dur.

Resale- It's been modded with EMG electronics and an Schaller roller bridge.These parts together are worth more than the bass they're in, and the EMGs were added, well...poorly. I've got a pickgaurd blank sitting here, waiting to go on it to cover up the issues.

So, it's really not worth selling, and I figure by just keeping it, and not re-gutting it for some $$$, I've got the advantage of always having a bass, even if finances make me sell all my other ones.

7. First Bass: Unbranded P, sold it, didn't regret it :)
    Second: Squire J, sold it, didn't regret it :)
    Third: Aria ProII SBR60, sold it, boy did I regret it... :bawl:

I got a job relocation just at the point that I realised that I'd outgrown the tone on my Aria, or rather I realised that it had none - played great, sounded dull. As I was moving 250 miles south I quit my band and decided to sell my gear - what a bad idea. With all the other changes going on and not having the drive of a band to play with I didn't replace any of my kit - for 10 years!!! :scowl:

The upside is that, after working for a further 10 years, I now have more money than talent :D . And once our current, minor, financial glitch is out of the way I'll be able to aford to indulge GAS properly :hyper:

My current bass, a Spector NS4CR, is a keeper - I've learned my lesson now. It should hopefully be joined by a US Spector this year - two basses at once, now there's a novelty on TB (NOT!).

8. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah, my first bass was a POS Samick... I do miss it though, just for sentimental reasons. ;)

9. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    My first bass was also a POS samick that felt amazing, I wish I had kept it and modded it.

10. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I traded up my first bass (a cheapie Ibanez 4-string) for a 5-string (a cheapie Ibanez 5.) I hate that 5. The neck's uncomfortable and the bass doesn't sound good unless the action's high. I never use it and thought about getting rid of it, by perhaps donating it, but I don't want to subject Save the Music to my garbage bass.

I keep it, mainly for nostalgia (I played my first gig and first paying gig with that bass) and to remind myself of where I've come from and how good I have it now.

I ain't getting rid of it.

11. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

sold my first bass , 1972 Fender Jazz , natural finish with
    maple neck and black block inlays ...
    to purchase a new 1973 Fender Precision , natural finish with
    rosewood neck .

yeah , i wish i still had the Jazz , but i do love my P-Bass .

12. milos.otic

milos.otic

Mar 14, 2005
    it's a p.o.s. memphis that wouldn't sell for more than $100, but i sold every basketball card and toy i owned back in the day to buy it. been tempted to sell it before, but i don't think i ever could.

13. my first one is an absolute P.O.S . it was fretted wrong (now you´ll never sty in tune :rolleyes: ) and the winding post of the e-string was half ripped out :rollno: , also the intire hardware was ****ty or not working. last time i ever buy a chinese product! :ninja:

14. actually i would pay someone to take it away just to have it out of my sight. :D
    it doesn´t even suit as firewood cuz the finish is toxic and mustn´t be inhaled.

15. if you cover 100% of the shipping ill take it you dont even have to pay me ;)

16. Ruffus-hound

Ruffus-hound

Apr 6, 2005
    my 1st was a pos lottis jazzmaster. she was ugly and could be
    a real b----h. but man i knew her well and could get some real funky slap out of her. selling that old girl was one bad day!

17. Im too much of a hoarder te sell any of my bass stuff

which is good, and bad at the same time

18. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I had a Conklin GT-7 that I got rid of because I did not play it as much and traded it for something that I can not even remember what it was. Right now I really miss that bass and my wife told me not to get rid of it.

19. Wahey! Ditto. whacked some new pickups in it though. Plays alright, A string is much louder than the others though...Oh and a dodgy tone pot (does nothing). But I'll never sell it.

20. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    i still have my first bass, a squier 5-string P-bass, I did refinish it though. I did trade second bass though, it was an american deluxe p-bass. I only regret gettin rid of that thing because it was so beautiful, maple neck, sunburst, tort guard, sure was pretty, but I didnt like the sound (it was the old 9v system so maybe thats why) Anywho I got a MM stingray with the trade in so now im a happy camper