I want JAZZ

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Piezoman, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Tonight at dinner, I was listening to jazz w/family. It seemed pretty good and all the songs had good bass. I figure, Play some of that and be awesome.

I am definitly a metal freak but I think the jazz will help my progression as a bassist.

If any of you know a good jazz band or more (prefferably give some song names too) Tell me about them. Thnx dudes.
  2. hell yeah man, same type of thing with me, i play metalcore i guess now but i listen to lots of jazz. some good bands are weather report, the flecktones, medeski martin and wood, chick korea, victor wooten, jaco pastorius, marcus miller, and victor bailey.

hope that helps.

3. No_Fingures

Jun 17, 2002
    Boston Ma
    I am somewhat the same boat, its a hard transition...Plus to actually play it is even harder..the hardest form of music there is. From the way they swing there notes to there timing. Its easier to move from blues or funk to that. Get a really good teacher for no matter how right ya think ya sound ya wrong. or thats what i found out
  4. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Don't forget Miles. That's required listening!

What the hell is a metalcore anyway? Help an elder out here! :D :cool:
  5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    off to recordings....
  6. for a beginning jazz listener, i strongly recommend the philadelphia experiment. it's very groove-oriented and thus more accessible. then move into some trad jazz, like bill evans and early miles davis.
  7. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Uh... Bill Evans & Miles ain't trad Jazz!!

Unless you guys have a different definition of 'trad Jazz' on the other side of the pond.

To me, trad Jazz is 20s & 30s Dixieland sorta thing. Y'know, banjoes, tubas, clarinets...
  8. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Oh, and seeing as no-one has suggested it specifically, so far:

Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue

This is an essential album, and a great first Jazz album to get - easy to get into (unlike perhaps Bitches Brew :))

Here are some other acoustic Jazz albums you might like:

Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else
    Herbie Hancock - Empyrean Isles
    Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil
    Horace Silver - Song For My Father

You'll find that the players appear on eachother's albums as sidemen. For example, Cannonball (alto sax) plays on Kind Of Blue, Miles (trumpet) plays on Somethin' Else, and Herbie (piano) plays on Speak No Evil. Freddie Hubbard (trumpet), also plays on Empyrean Isles and Speak No Evil. Wayne Shorter (tenor & soprano sax) also plays on many of Miles' later albums, along with Herbie.
  9. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Anything by Jean Luc Ponty! I'm mentioning him, because I know that he'll be overlooked. :p
  10. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Check out some Mingus, especially since you're interested in the bass aspect. He was an upright bassist/composer. Great jazz that can really groove. My preferred Mingus album is Live at Antibes. Fantastic! Also check out John Coltrane's Giant Steps, Brad Mehldau's Art of the Trio Vol. 2 (Live at the Village Vanguard), aforementioned Miles Davis (if you want some electric Miles that's more accessible than Bitches Brew or In a Silent Way then check out Amandla with Marcus Miller on electric bass), or Ornette Coleman's The Shape of Jazz to Come (really quite accessible and enjoyable music with great melodies - "Lonely Woman" continues to be one of my all-time favorite jazz tunes) among others.

brad cook
  11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Go buy Miles Davis' "Kind Of Blue" at a local uised CD store. It's been re-released so many times that you should be able to find it for really cheap used. Listen about 3 or 4 times, and if you like it, you're hooked.
  12. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Is that North or South Corea:D ;)
  13. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Check out some jazzbluesish stuff at first.. it'll be a good start...

Oliver Nelson - "The blues and the abstract truth"
    Miles Davis "Kind of blue"

are two really good albums that are easy listenable but also very complex in their improvisational parts.

Other guys to check out are: Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Charlie Parker, Lester Young, Dizzy Gillespie, Sonny stitt, Sonny rollins, Lee konitz, Eric dolhpy, Lee morgan, Chet baker, Bill evans, Keith Jarrett, Eric dolphy, John coltrane, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie holliday, ornette coleman, Oscar pettiford, and about a thousand or so other jazz greats..........

15. No_Fingures

Jun 17, 2002
    Boston Ma
    look for any jazz with paul chambers or major holly on it. I am not really familer with major holly just have a thing i am learning with him on it. he has some nice licks...Mingus wouldn't be good if you are just starting out on jazz. I tryed he is out there. Best to start off with strait forward Beboppers
  16. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That statement is pretty subjective and it also indicates to me that you probably have limited exposure to Mingus as a lot of his stuff doesn't sound "out there" at all. A lot of his music is pretty straightforward jazz with a heavy gospel and blues influence. Yes, he does have some "out there" stuff but I think he has many recordings that would be excellent for people just getting into jazz...especially those who are into jazz bass.

brad cook
  17. TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    Check out Scott Pazera, at www.scottpazera.com, he is a local bassist here in Indiana he has a couple of Cd's out! He studied with Bill Dickens the Buddah of the bass!
  18. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Billy Cobham's Spectrum is one of my favorites. Also maybe try John Scofield, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Herbie Hancock, plus what everyone else said... :)
  19. JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003
    trane's ... Blue Train. You wont be disapointed(Trane' play's on kind of blue also)
  20. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

No one has mentioned Pat Metheny and the Pat Metheny Group. I love that group. Also I second the motion on Chick Corea. Another favorite of mine is Ahmad Jamal. Also try Brad Mehldau. I like his album "Songs" which has a haunting version of "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered."

You might like Diana Krall. My favorite album of hers is "The Look of Love" I also like Stan Getz. Also check out Dave Brubeck. Check out The Modern Jazz Quartet. Or for a different style, check out Gato Barbiere.