1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I want less mwah on my fretless

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by thudfromafar, Mar 4, 2010.

1. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    I'm sure some of it is setup, but I've found that even Chromes flatwounds are giving me too much mwahhh. My bass is a fretless warwick corvette. I'm looking for a deep low/low-mid kinda string. Some scooped mids and lack of high-end.

I've tried chromes and they're alright but I can find better. Also tried Labella Nylon Tapewounds, and couldn't stand those strings. Too much mwah, bridge-cable thickness and high tension.

2. GHS Precision Flatwounds. They have less mwah and more of an uprightish sort of sound. You might want to try a lighter gauge set for less tension.

3. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Awesome, I'll have to give those a try.

4. You may find that tweaking the action up a bit (1/4 - 1/2 a turn) & adding a bit more relief to the neck will help.

5. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    This.

6. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Yep. I've got two fretlesses, both wear GHS Brite Flats. One is set up with the board flat and low action, mwah machine - the other with some relief and higher action, thump machine.

7. etherealme

etherealme Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Louisiana
    +1 this
    lefty loosey! more relief = less mwah :smug:

8. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Roto Trubass all the way ;).

9. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Frets should do the trick :bag:

10. My experience (prefer less mwah, myself) agrees with most posters here that raising the action helps. Supposedly, rounds gets you more mwah (I wouldn't know because I never use 'em). I got the action so high that I needed to start using TI floppy flats because my wimpy little hands couldn't take the combination of high action and stiff tension from my usual LaBella's.

11. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    :rollno:

:D

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020