Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want low not punchy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zirc, Nov 1, 2001.

1. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I keep on hearing people say "this cab doesn't have a lot of low-end, but you can get a punchy sound out of it." Well what brand 2x15 cab has a good low end?

2. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    i play out of a 2x15 cab with jbl 600w 8ohm
    they're plenty low..you might even want to try 1x18
    peoblem sometimes its real muddy

3. You'll get more absolute bottom from a pair of 1x15 than a 2x15. Reason is, all the 15" are crammed into cabs that are too small for them. A 2x15 requires 2x the cabinet volume of a 1x15. It is easier to build and haul around a pair of 6 cubic foot cabinets than a single 12 cubic foot cabinet.

Bottom is also relative: you want 5-string bottom, or 4-string bottom?

4. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    5 string

5. How about a pair of Eden N-115P?

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'm no tech-head like bgavin... However, I always thought the Deep Bag End 1x15 cranked TONS of lows, and projected them very well.

When I played one in the music store with the Bag End 2x10, you could feel the lows at as far as I could walk while playing, with my bass... (it was a 15' cord, so figure about 15' away, you can still feel the bass at)

Bag end's not very expensive, (as compared to Eden) and is very light.

The downside? They're only rated at 200 watts RMS.

I've seen lots of people push them over 200 watts, though, with no problem.

7. leper

leper

Jun 21, 2001
    bagend also makes a 4x18 if you have some strong band mates :)

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

Or if you want to reset your grand parent's pace maker. ;)

9. Go try 'em out. What does "punchy" mean to you?
    How do you define "low mid"? What does "tons of lows" sound to you?

10. I strive for low & punchy. Lots of power, a good compressor, and a tight 1x18 and 1x15 that deliver deep without any muddiness.

11. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Good gawd! How would I get my hands on one o' them? :D ;)

12. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    [​IMG]

I'm scared

13. leper

leper

Jun 21, 2001
    one word on the bag end 4x18:

ROOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRR!

14. Amen to that! I bet this thing would destroy the reproductive systems of most adults from a block away.

15. That's primarily a PA sub, I believe. I think it's also very power hungry. 8 Hz? I wonder what the maximum cone excursion is? I'd like to try them but never had the oppurtunity. The most powerful subs I've experienced are Turbosound's 24 inch monster, and the Servodrive Basstech 7. The Servo's are incredible. 8 per side, outdoors provided some exceedingly bone crushing low end. I literally thought my heart was going to stop.

Anyhoo... I don't think "low" and punchy have to be mutually exclusive. You can get massive bottom end without sacrificing definition or clarity. Unfortunately, too many people haven't figured that out yet.

16. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I didn't know anyone other than Hartley was using 24" drivers. Anyway, I think the best-sounding PA cabs I've ever heard were Turbos - they were 3-way cabinets with an 18" (horn-loaded, I think) bass driver. They were very sweet and natural (hi-fi). Too bad more people don't use them in the States.

What do you think of that EAW KF940 folded horn sub? It has dual 12" woofers into a 13-foot horn-length - specs are very low (-3 dB at 24 Hz.) and very loud (113 db sensitivity). See http://www.eaw.com/products/item.phtml?part_number=999713. EAW gives a caution about causing intestinal distress with it.

- Mike

17. Did they have a 10" mid coupled to a horn as well? Sounds like a TMS-4. Older cabinets, but they do sound really hifi and have a sweet top end. Actually those are the cabs the 24" sub was designed for. We used to use 4 of them and 4 18" JBL W Series bins. Great club rig. The newer Turbo stuff is very nice as well, although in the wrong hands it can sound truly awful. I saw Jethro Tull in Calgary using a Turbo rig and it was probably the best concert sound I've ever heard. The new EAW stuff has pretty impressive specs. Haven't esperienced any of the 9 series yet. I've heard the KF750 system with SB1000s (like SB850s but rectangular and strangely more efficient). Very compact, very loud and crystal clear. I'm sure EAW's new stuff is very nice, maybe I'll get to use some of it soon. So far, though Meyer Sound's self powered series has got my vote for best sounding PA. Scary fidelity.

18. Mesa Boogie's 2x15 has an unbelievably fat tone with great lows and there's always Ampeg but those are much larger in size.

19. Hmmmm.....I was going to have a vasectomy in 2002.Maybe I can just go to the music shop and straddle that monster and let the dbs nuke my nads?:eek: :confused: :D

Ouch....on second though.*crossing legs*