Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i want low tension strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jazzbassist, Feb 21, 2006.

1. jazzbassist

jazzbassist

Aug 1, 2005
    im currently ussing D'addario XL's. There rediculously tense!:eek: for a predominantly slap and tap player, i physically find it demanding to play.

looking for low tension, easy to play, good sounding, medium gauge strings. Im being a bit specific, but any advice would be great
    p.s. preferbaly nickeals

2. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    anything with a round core, particularly DR Hi Beams.

3. jazzbassist

jazzbassist

Aug 1, 2005
    what about rotsound swing bass?

4. Ernie Ball strings are low tension. You need a pretty light picking/plucking technique to keep them from flopping around and buzzing. At least that was my experience.

Paul Mac

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

+1 for the DR High beams. Get the 40-100 guage and that is a really nice low tension.

6. jazzbassist

jazzbassist

Aug 1, 2005
    yeah, i found i loved the feel of ernie balls, they dont sound brilliant though

7. +2

great sound and awesome feel. When I first started to use them, I thought they were easier to play, but less floppy - both good for me.

8. I agree on something with a round core.

Try DR's Sunbeams or Thomastiks Jazz Rounds.

9. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Ignoring the brand of the string for a moment, you could move down in guage.

If you didn't deliberately seek out a different guage, your XLs probably have a .045 G string. Lighter guage strings have less tension, and the difference can be quite noticeable. If you move down to a .040 or even a .035 G string, you may find what you are after. You might need to tweak your neck relief and you will probably have to adjust your saddle height if you make this change.

The unfortunate side effect is that you'll be less able to walk into any music store and buy a new set of strings - finding odd-guage bass strings is hit and miss, especially if you play a 5 or 6 string instrument. It may be worthwhile for you.

10. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I just re-read your initial post and saw that you prefer medium gauge strings. So, my suggestion may not apply. Apologies.

11. I was trying to find the web address for Curt Mangun Strings. I have played both the SS and Nickel. Both are very low-tension and I like them alot.

I used to play ProSteels, LowRiders, Hi beams and they are very stiff. The Manguns are like butter in your hands.

They are relatively cheap also....local music store is about 15-20 a set for a 6 string set.

Sorry for some reason I can't provide the link, I can't find the address.

12. jazzbassist

jazzbassist

Aug 1, 2005
    Thanks for the recomendations:)

13. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Ken Smith's tapercore strings are very low tension. But you can control it well, too. Fun to play with

14. Let me add another +1 for the DR Hi-beams. Great strings, and they're all I'll use now.

15. permadave

permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA

+1 on these but they are not nickel, they are like butta on my warwick. Love em!

16. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I've never had a problem with string tension being too tight. Are you sure that's what it is?

17. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Go to a lighter set. My 72 Jazz has ridiculously tight string tension using med strings regardless of string brand or setup. I even had a pro set it up with shims in the neck pocket, but no luck. I put on a set of .40-.95 and it made a huge difference. Can't stand them on my other basses, but they fit the Jazz perfectly.

18. jazzbassist

jazzbassist

Aug 1, 2005
    yeah im sure it is, i play a jazz and never had problems before, i used to use ernie balls (great tension but not great sound), figured id give Rotosound nickeal swingbass a try, hope there be less tight than XL's