1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I want more blues all i know is standards 12 bar

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by cire113, Jul 3, 2009.

1. cire113

cire113

Apr 25, 2008
    Ok im totally in love with the blues... i could play blues bass the rest of my life.....

I know the standard 12 bar blues...

Could someone please tell me or show me some other variations to the simple 12 bars pattern?(ie songs,anything)

Thank you so much..

Theres gotta be some other really cool variations out there..

2. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    instead of | i i i i | iv iv i i | v iv i i |

try | i iv i i | iv iv i i | v iv i i | a la 'red house'

or | i i i i | iv iv i i | v iv i v | a la a bunch of songs

also, ragtime blues uses the sixth as a root sometimes.

there's way more out there, but i don't know it.

oh, and if you haven't heard it, go out and get 'completely well' by b.b. king. it's my bass guitar blues bible. jerry jemmott is the man.

[ edited to improve readability (slightly) ]

3. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    Try learning the Allman Bro's version of Stormy Monday (a jam session favorite), Unchain my heart by Ray Charles is a good minor blues. Most versions of it go I,I, I, I, IV, IV, I, I, though there is a version that goes to the bVI instead of the IV, learn both. BB King's the Thrill is gone is another Jam favorite with a bVI, V turn around instead of the V, IV. A Teenie weenie bit of your love is a good example of a Rumba beat, Also listen to some swing or jump blues and you'll hear a II, V turnaround sooner or later. A I, VI, II, V or I, VI, IV, V tail (11th and 12th bar) is also common.

There is also a blues bassist's club on TB. You're welcome to join or subscribe to the thread.

4. 8 bar-A few different forms:It Hurts Me Too-Elmore James. Steal Away-Johnnie Taylor

4-1-4-1-5-4-1 The vocals come on the 4 chord. Think of Rollin and Tumblin by Muddy Waters(or lots of covers) or Mystery Train by Elvis Presley.

<----Muddy Doing a variation of 4-1-4-1-5-4-1. Still singing on the 4 chord,but repeating the 1 chord more times in between lyrics.

5. strozey

strozey

Jul 16, 2008
    California
    Endorsing Artist: John Jameson &amp; Sons
  6. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
  7. jonster

jonster

Nov 12, 2008
    Mrwiggl3s,

Thanks for making note of the recommendation of my Blues Bass book. I appreciate your support. Thanks!

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Transcribe.

9. Maybe listen to various types or relatives of blues.

My favorites are early jump blues (a la Louis Jordan) and maximum R&B stuff (like early Who/Yardbirds/Pretty Things/Downliners Sect etc.)