Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i want more thump

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tdogg, Feb 1, 2001.

1. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    i run through a 4x10 and a 1x15.....would i be totally off my rocker if i tried to replace my 1x15 with a folded horn downfiring 1x18 pa sub? has any one ever tried this? just a krazy idea......let me know what you think

2. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Im sure that would give you tons of sound... if you could give it enough wattage.

3. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    You can certainly do this, and if it's a decent folded-horn design, you won't need much power to get a lot of "boom" out of it. You may want to think about the effect that it would have on-stage vs. off-stage (out in the audience) though. A number of us have contributed to discussions (see thread http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=9774) about "throw" of a loudspeaker. You might find that using such a subwoofer to get adequate stage volume might be excessive out in the audience, depending on the venue.

But at least you have the 4x10. You might change your crossover to a lower frequency (say 100 Hz. - oops! - the Carvin only goes down to 200 Hz. [silly]) so you can hear more of lower frequency balance on stage.

- Mike

4. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    flatwound strings or playing upright will get more of a "thump" sound.

5. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I think Johm Turner uses a set up similar to that, he could probably shed some light on this.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Dr. Mike- You're correct about JT.

In the 70's, I bought a complete rig from some music dealer that consisted a GK head teamed up with a Cerwin-Vega B-36 Earthquake, which was actually an 18" designed for PA. Besides delivering Godzilla bass, it was also effective for urban demolition projects.