1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I want my dollar back

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by AlphaMale, Sep 7, 2008.

1. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    A lot of places give you a 1 dollar charge to verify your credit card. How do you get that one dollar back? My mom used to call her bank. But is there a way I can do it online? I specifically want it back from paypal. I use WaMu. I know it's just a dollar but it will add up overtime.

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    It's been a while since I set up my paypal account but IIRC, paypal would make two deposits like .32 and ..48 in your account and you would have to notify them of the amount that was deposited (this would show that you actually had control of the account or at least access to it). Then they would reverse the transaction and get the money back in their account. I don't ever remember having to give them a dollar.

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    That charge shouldn't stay in your account. Many businesses such as paypal, many hotels, etc., essentially "ping" your account with a small charge to make sure the account is in good standing and they will get their payment in full before giving you the full extent of the services they are offering you. That $1 "charge" should be gone from your account in a week or two. If it isn't call your credit card company and contest it.

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    A lot of gas stations use this process when you swipe the card at the pump. They'll hold a $1 claim against your account instead of immediately taking payment of the full amount. Once they are paid in full the hold on the $1 is dropped and available to you again.

5. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    thanks guys

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, more likely than not, it's a temporary charge that will be replaced with a real charge, or simply disappear within a few days or weeks.

7. yes, when I started my paypal account, they deposited a certain amt. into your account and then they take it back...I never paid a cent either, unless the customer that bought from me used a credit card...