1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I want my mids back!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Haans, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Haans

Haans Altruistic nihilist Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    I have a 2011 Fender Precision AmStd, which (according to @JimmyM iirc) has the worst pups Fender ever made. I found them rather meh, so I put in Seymour Duncan SPB-3 instead. Much more aggressive, but also a very prominent mid scoop. Not a good match with my Verellen Meatsmoke. I tried getting back mids with eq, but that turned out to be no solution.

So again, the age old question, which pups should I get? I like the heft in the SPB-3s, but I want ballsier mids.

JimmyM likes this.
  2. Haans

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    I do have a Curtis Novak P currently mounted in my Peavey Fury. I've only ever tried it with flats, so I don't really know what to expect.

Yes, I have rounds on my Fender.

Troy Eggen likes this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    DiMarzio model P will growl your face off. Back off the tone knob slightly and there's your traditional P bass tone. Best of both worlds.

grouse789, Standalone, TC424 and 14 others like this.
  4. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Well I’d agree with @JimmyM and get the emg gzr

passive pickup loads of mids and tone

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Sorry @JimmyM I forgot I recently got on the Geezer train too. :D The DiMarzio will be slightly aggressive. The Geezer is perfection with the tone knob dimed (in my view).

So either would be a good choice. Just be aware that the DiMarzio is hotter and has "extra" mids that can be easily tamed with the tone knob. The Geezer is good to go out of the box.

6. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    I agree with Peavey Player and Two Fingers
    Dimarzio Model P is the prescription if you want big n' ballsy, but able to dial down into older traditional P sounds easily.
    Where I think EMG Geezer starts out sounding more traditional but can be pushed into more ballsy (like Geezer Butler) sounds easily.

PeaveyPlayer, DJ Bebop and Haans like this.
  7. BurtMacklinFBI

BurtMacklinFBI Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Geezer, homie. Simple and excellent.

Jaycephas and Iv@N like this.
  8. Spb-4. Perfect balance to my ears.

clickclack likes this.
  9. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    So what are the worst pickups from Fender???

DrMole and Iristone like this.
  10. Let the games begin.....

11. Haans

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    Sounds like the DiMarzio may be the perfect fit, then. It's easier to subtract than to add. Both were top of my list, but a 2nd hand SD came along, so I crossed that off.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  12. Haans

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    I guess I'm sort of going for something like the JJ Burnel sound from Rattus Norvegicus. Not going to rip the cones in my Barefaced, though.

And thanks for the input!

13. Yes, I would like to know as well.

14. Haans

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    According to legend, it's the one in the 2008-12 AmStd.

15. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Another vote from me for the EMG Geezer P.

60bass likes this.
  16. desert_rain

desert_rain

Jul 14, 2015
    Eindhoven
    Put steve harris signature pup, it will be ok.

17. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Agree, I absolutely hated the stock pup in my 08 Black 'n' Maple. I've played P's since 1969 and the 08 had the worst sounding stock pup of any P I've ever owned. I like the Duncan Antiquity and the Geezer with a slight edge to the Geezer because it's quieter. I really like the Geezers and have them in three of my P's. The Geezer with a set of LaBella Deep Talking flats transformed the 08 into a killer sounding P. Big time thump city.

18. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    This ^

Duncan SPB4 are fantastic pickups with a big growly midrange and yet have clarity up top. They sound similar to the EMG Geezers but with a bit more natural sounding upper mids IMO.

Kipp Harrington and Zoobiedood like this.
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You are correct on all counts. And we seem to hear stuff with the same ears :D

I'm certainly no encyclopedia of currently available pickups, but I've tried a few, I would say the DiMarzio Model P would probably be a good choice for you if you like the big juiced up low end with a reduced high end but still want solid mids. Maybe that SPB-4 Duncan makes would as well, but I have no experience with it. But I loved the Model P, although the whomping low end of pickups like it and the Quarter Pounder got to be a bit much for me after a while. I'm old school, not that totally new school, you know, the one invented 45 years ago and not 60 :D

If you want to keep that vintage tone, Geezer or SPB-1. SPB-1 totally catches the vibe of the early 60's P's, but the mids are tarted down slightly from the Geezer, which is a direct clone of the stock pickup on Bobby Vega's 60 P. I'd totally be happy with the SPB-1 but I went for the Geezer because the mids are so much more versatile. I can use the tone knob on my bass and never fall out of the mix. I can cut my overall mids a little, have a prettier tone, but still get those vintage balls of a good vintage style P pickup.

20. Iristone

Iristone

Jul 8, 2017
    Beijing
    I thought the old Mexican standard pickups were the worst... :bag:
    As you're playing rounds, try some Roto 66s. They might help too.

60bass, nbsipics, Haans and 1 other person like this.