1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

I want my pickups flipped and a string through body. ( Fender )

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by descendent22, Apr 15, 2019.

1. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    0623B49B-2E8D-4CD0-AC59-E5E57CA3F8FF.jpeg I have built my 2018 Fender deluxe active p bass special. I basically bought the body and neck from the strostphere and did the rest. I just don’t like the Stock EQ /electronics/ pickups along with a few other things. So I bought the neck and body and saved a tone of money by doing it this way. However as musicians we’re ALWAYS evolving.

On Point:
    I would like a string through body for starts. So can That be done? I don’t wanna hear why it shouldn’t be done or people’s opinions why They wouldn’t do it.I just want it done. Also I want the precision pickups flipped. Meaning I want the top precision pickup which would be closest to the neck switched so it’s closer to the bridge and the bottom stock is closest to the bridge to be switched so it’s closer to the neck.Like the mark hopping signature jazz bass. This are the 2 mods I want. Can anyone out there do it.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  2. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Dam, comin out with guns blazin.

probably any luthier in your area would be able put you in line.

descendent22 likes this.
  3. Definitely doable. A drill press, a router and a p bass pattern and you’re set. Oh, a new pickguard and bridge if yours doesn’t have string through capability already.

4. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Both are easily done. Unless the pickup route is a swimming pool style though, that will take more work.

At a minimum, you're looking at a new pickguard, and 4 string-through ferrules and about an hour of shop time. At most, you'll have to also factor in a new bridge and another hour or two of shop time.

Either way, it's easily done.

Rôckhewer likes this.
  5. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Where can I find a flipped pickguard??

6. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Google "p bass pick guard" and you're likely to see a few.

7. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

You don’t have to listen to anything you don’t want to listen to. And you can get anything you want, how you want it, when you want it.

Just have your checkbook ready.

Beej likes this.
  8. cholyoke

cholyoke Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Rubber City
    <--I flipped the P (in your parlance) and added another for more flavor. Router and a template. First time I have used a router. Worked like a champ. I traced my original pickguard on a sheet of 11x17 and mailed it to WD music. They made me one with the flipped P and an extra hole for the new knob (which you will not need).

The instructions I found on how to drill string ferrules on this site seem to make sense, but I have not done it yet:
    1. Drill the hole in the top of the body where it is supposed to be, but don't go all the way through the body. I think the hole should be ~1/8" (or slightly larger than the diameter of your largest string)
    2. Flip the body over and put that hole on a pin located directly below the drill stem (i.e. the pin is mounted in the drill press table directly below the drill stem).
    3. Finish drilling the hole from the back. It should line up perfectly if your pin is correctly positioned. I would start small and work up to whatever final diameter you need.
    4. Install Ferrule.

Do work!

9. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    26981F4C-10E6-466D-812D-BFEACA37BB61.jpeg C0F6FC11-9D8D-4F51-A592-B6110D6A5ED7.jpeg I’m just purchased a “P” pickup template from a seller on amazon ( they have them and sometimes they don’t, you’ll have to check ). I think I spent $15 with shipping. I just flipped the template over, worked fine. Now, getting the template lined up can be a problem. It wasn’t for me as the finish was off the body and I was able to see the seem were the body was joined and find “center”. Will try to post a pic of the template ( no I do not sell this template or any other, just posting a pick to help find a cheap but effective template ). I used command strips to hold down the template, worked well for “me”. The template is clear acrylic plastic but has some type of waxy paper face on front and back , good thing was the command strips came right off and did not effect the waxy paper facing. Anyway, hope you find the help you need.

10. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    I apreciate the info but I’m not into doing the work. I just don’t have the patience for it. I found a good luthier about half hour ride from me to do the mods for 50$. I just gotta buy the parts

11. Yep I did this for my neck ferrules and string-thru bridge. It worked very well.
    Music Man PJ 5 Hybrid - My First Build

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021