I want one! - Ibanez PNB14E... the poor man's Taylor GS Mini bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MakoMan, Apr 28, 2018.

1. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    I knew when the Taylor GS Mini came out that sooner or later someone was going to use those new D'Addario strings and make a more affordable mini acoustic bass. And here is it is... the Ibanez PNB14E.
    As soon, and I mean as soon as these come to Canada, I will be picking one up. I'm tempted to order one from the States right now. This will be absolutely perfect for my band's acoustic shows.

Ibanez PNB14E - Open Pore Natural

superdick2112 and nonohmic like this.
  2. Mako...you ever get one?

3. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Could not find one in Canada, was trying to figure out whether to order one from the U.S. and then I accidentally stumbled across a B-stock 32" scale of the exact same bass. I ended up buying it. The entire story can be found in this thread:

NBD - Bought the wrong Ibanez acoustic, and I LOVE it!

bholder likes this.
  4. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    I’d like to try this, the 24.8” scale might be a bit easier to adjust to compared with Taylor’s 23”

MakoMan likes this.
  5. Mako....that's right..I forgot about reading that . That one plays nice too!

I think my choices are pretty much the PNB14E unless I want to spend more! If I go up to $500, then it opens up a few more options... The Ibanez AVNB1E and FE and the Gold Tone M-Bass 25.

If I go up to $650 then I could consider the Spector Timbre Jr. It's a 30 inch scale.

MakoMan likes this.
  6. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I have been gone for a long time, but I had to log back in to comment on this bass. With all the sub/micro/uke bass dialog over the years, I am very surprised there is not more dialog on this bass.

It has been out for a while, but I only recently discovered it. This bass, IMHO, is off the charts excellent. If you love short scales, this one delivers.

D'Addario hit it out of the park with the strings. I would love for someone at D'Ad to explain the science of this, but those strings that they created for the Taylor GS Mini actually are stable at 23 to 25 inch scale.

If you remember me from the past, you might remember that I was big into the sub/micro/uke thing. I actually designed and marketed a 25" scale electric bass. The secret sauce that made it work was using 5 string gauges on a 4 string. The big gauges made up the difference in tension, yielding a stable regular tuning with a 25" scale.

D'Addario's strings are amazingly 90 to 37, and yet they are perfectly stable at 25". That basically defies the laws of string physics. :) I guess somehow the EXPs are making up for some of the lost tension.

This bass feels and sounds great. It doesn't have a ton of acoustic volume, but most don't. Plugged in, this bass sounds great. I am amazed at what they packed into this bass for a 250 dollar price point. Really high quality bass for that price point.

If you are a sub/micro/uke bass lover, do yourself a favor and check it out.

MakoMan, UNICORN BASS and jasper383 like this.
  7. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I have been really enjoying the bass.

I have a crappy phone camera, and even crappier lighting in my house, so my pictures are always underwhelming. This picture does not do the beauty of this bass justice, but here it is regardless.

This bass has a stunning finish for a $250 dollar bass. Really beautiful in person. I am always amazed at how beautiful Ibanez can build a low cost instrument. PNB14E.png

And this bass has beautiful binding everywhere - top and bottom of the body, neck and outline of headstock. Very impressive for this price point.

pcake, Interspace Station and MakoMan like this.
  8. SBassman...I've been on a search to find a short scale bass, one under 30 inches (well really 28.6), and really wanted to add an acoustic . The PNB14E really seems like would fulfill what I'm looking for.

In your experience with it, is it pretty adaptable to different music styles?

Everything that I play I've pretty much done on a Squire VM Mustang and was wondering how this one might fit in/compliment the Mustang.

Also, have you looked for cases/gig bags for it? I know that Ibanez has a hard case for it, but was told that really looking for a soft case .

MakoMan likes this.
  9. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I'm not sure how it might fit what you are playing. But I can vouch for it being a very nice bass for the bucks, and beautiful. Very comfortable to play that scale. I'm getting older, and my hands more and more have pain and arthritis. I have always been attracted to short scales, even before the hand pain, but I am seeing as I get older sticking with short scales will be increasingly required for me.

As for a gig bag, I didn't want to spring for the hard case. I scoured Amazon for a bag that was as close to the dimensions of that bass as possible, and I ordered it. When it comes and I test drive the fit, I will post on that. It was the ChromaCast CC-AMJPB-BAG Acoustic Mini Jumbo Padded Gig Bag.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    Stroope74 and MakoMan like this.
  10. Lance Bunyon

Lance Bunyon

Jul 17, 2018
    I played one of these at GC the other day. Incredible bass for the price. Too bad no one makes a sub 34 scale 5 string acoustic bass.

HeavyDuty and MakoMan like this.
  11. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Just got the gig bag and tried it. It fits absolutely perfectly. ChromaCast CC-AMJPB-BAG Acoustic Mini Jumbo Padded Gig Bag on Amazon.

scotch and MakoMan like this.
  12. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    If you are reading this and you either have an Ibanez PNB14E or you have bought the GS Mini strings separately - do you see a taper on the strings?

My strings do not have any taper, and I am Positive my bass was new from the factory.

I ask because - if these strings are so soft that they just insert right into the tuner without a taper, then that opens the door to experimenting with other gauges of the same string type.

I'm finding that the E and G could use a little more. I'd like to experiment with a 95 to 42 set instead of a 90 to 37 set.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    MakoMan likes this.
  13. Do you think that the bag will give enough protection for back and forth to lessons and for storage at home?

MakoMan likes this.
  14. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Yes. No gig bag will protect an instrument from a beating on a truck, but for someone just travelling with their instrument themselves in their car, it is more than adequate. It fits like a glove.

MakoMan likes this.
  15. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I just ordered a set of La Bella CB40 Contra Bass strings - to repeat what I did with a Kelley Sojourner bass a few years ago. 95 to 41. Will report results here. Expecting success.

MakoMan and HaphAsSard like this.
  16. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    La Bella CB40s will go on the bass in the next day or so. The arrive tomorrow. Will post results.

17. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    Ibanez does an Artcore (jazzbox/semihollow) in 5-string that is 30, but that's about all I know of besides things in the multi-thousands (I do think there is a carbon fiber ABG5 for instance).

Lance Bunyon likes this.
  18. Lance Bunyon

Lance Bunyon

Jul 17, 2018
    Kala/Padahoe/Roadtoad had a 5 string archtop 5 Ubass prototype. Man that looked sweet! I think they couldnt get the B string to work in acoustic format. They do make the solid bodies tho.

MakoMan likes this.
  19. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    La Bella CB40s are on. Off to a great start. Bass sounds warmer and more even. The G of this set is a significant improvement over the G of the stock strings. Intonation with the new set is pretty much perfect.

Can't speak to stability yet - need to wait a bit before looking at that. To be continued.

20. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Interested. I'm quite curious as to how these work out. It would be nice to have a choice of strings on this bass.