Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i want some thump

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by clouddead, Feb 15, 2004.

1. clouddead

clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    orlando
    i play dub reggae, classic rock, some radiohead kinda stuff. i know i wont be slapping really at all. im not sure what kinda bass i should go after in the 1000-1200 price range. i want to put flatwounds on the bass. 4 stringer also. so yeah, suggestions?

2. I'd go with a P-Bass or somthing with a P-Bass pickup in the "sweet spot".

My MIA P-Bass is strung with D'addario Chromes and it thumps nicely.

Pluck over the neck joint and you get a psudo-upright type tone.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    American P or maybe an Epiphone Jack Cassidy

4. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Perhaps a Sting Signature Fender P-Bass? Really phat bass tone.

5. clouddead

clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    orlando
    well, i wanna stay away from fender though, i want somethin kinda diff. the p pickup config. is a good idea. but if i get fender, itd be vintage, ideally id have the fender p bass that chris chaney is holding in bass players june issue, the bluish one with the redish pickguard. but im not feelin the quality that fender is putting out these days. no offense, but i guess its just me. what else is there ya think?

6. clouddead

clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    orlando
    i like the lakland darryl jones skyline bass. but i cant get over how his sig. is right on the headstock, big turn off, but awesome looking bass. but i did notice that the picture of it on laklands site doesnt have the sig. hmm... wonder if its possible to get one without it.. probably not, oh well.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :D I'm awaiting a 6 string fretless version of my 51 in that color combo :cool:

Kim Gordon plays a blue/tort P as well

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    P bass is way to go.

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    P-bass
    Musicman stingray-flats
    lakland Hollowbody

10. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    I have been playing reggae for a few years now and I have used the following instruments at various times: Fender Roscoe Beck jazz, Beatle bass copy, Steinberger copy, Dearmond Starfire, Fender P, Fender J, and Peavey G Bass. All of these did fine after I put on some flats, installed a mute and rolled off the tone control.

At the moment I am using a franken-J with a Fender body, Mighty Mite neck, Fralin pickups, and LaBella flats.

If you dont like the Fender quality perhaps you could get a Lakland Skyline. But IMHO the new US Fenders are pretty nice. Plus there are a lot of nice signature series models that are very well done.

If I had an unlimited budget, I would get a Rob Allen and/or Sadowsky jazz.

11. I've had my flat wounds strung on my MIA P-Bass for around 2 1/2 years now, and they just keep sound sweeter, as far as searchin for that lo-fi thump sound. I love my bass more every day. Play up by the neck joint and you get a sweet, juicy, moist reggae type of tone. I would recommend this setup to anyone searching for that dub sound.