Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want super ugly, nasty distortion. How do I accomplish this?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Grendal's daddy, Apr 14, 2001.

1. Grendal's daddy

Grendal's daddy Guest

Mar 25, 2001
    USA, Fort Worth
    I have a Metal Zone MT-2. It is the best thing that I have come by. But is there a more ugly distortion out there? Something like Mortician's distortion. Could I combine more pedals and clean it up with a Noise Suppressor?

2. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    Hey man, when I wanted to get just an ugly dirty nasty pedal (which I assume is what you want) I had a good fuzz, but this is for when I just wanted nasty. I went to the local guitar store and got a used "Deathmetal" pedal, I mean I know it is a guitar pedal, but just look at the name, it is so dirty, I use it when I just want to growl or get a lot of feedback.

3. FOE_Bass

FOE_Bass Guest

Jun 29, 2000
    Grass Valley, CA
    Try the Big Muff or Daddy O. Both made for a guitar, but strong enough for a bass.

4. rubber chicken

rubber chicken Guest

Apr 7, 2001
    colorado
    DOD deathmetal distortion.

or, just use a couple pedals at once.

5. Geez man, you want something nastier sounding than an MT-2? Buy a guitar, dude :D:D:D LOL

Serious man, an extreme distortion (like the MT-2, I have one for guitar) completely drowns the bass tones. I can't see why you want to sound even more heavy than that. It just don't sound like a bass.

6. Grendal's daddy

Grendal's daddy Guest

Mar 25, 2001
    USA, Fort Worth
    The MT-2 has a very good equalizer. I can get a lot of the lows, so it still sounds like a bass, and the highs, for the distortion. In fact, I think it is a better distortion than the pedals made for a bass.
    But I don't like the distortion sounding the same.
    Like if i let a note ring, it would sound like this;
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    I want it to sound messy and sloppy like;
    z zzzzzz zzz zz zzzzzzzzzzz zzz zz z zzzz zzzzzzz z
    Anyone understand what I am getting at?

7. shagEb

shagEb Guest

Apr 14, 2001
    USA, Polkville NC
    Deathmetal pedal is good. my favorite is the new PHAT HED from IBANEZ . to get that Type O sound set drive max,attack on 2,low on max,high at 12 o'clock,type dist.

8. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    try this lethal combo. bass-bigmuff-rat- amp.

9. Grendal's daddy

Grendal's daddy Guest

Mar 25, 2001
    USA, Fort Worth
    Will I need a clean up pedal?

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Clean up pedal? Just turn one of the damn pedals off!

11. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Try a Z.Vexx Fuzz Factory. That has got to be THE craziest distortion out there.

12. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    If I'm understanding ( and I probably not) Try using a bass chorus pedal after your distortion pedal, set on the upper middle settings. I use this with a Boss ODB and get a real nasty growl without losing my bottom end. It can definitely be set up to be way harsher if you prefer. Hope this helps.

13. Try letting your strings ring along a bit. I mean strings you're not actually playing. It'll get all crackly and nasty. People will think you suck on the bass, but it'll give you the sound you're looking for, I think.

14. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I agree but whilst its IMHO the best fuzz ever for guitar it thins out way to much on bass (tried mine). The one to try for bass is the Z Vex Wooly Mammoth. The bass response is incredible. Z Vex stuff is very expensive though.

http://www.zvex.com/mammoth.html

15. Basswou

Basswou

Apr 15, 2001
    Belgium
    What is this RAT ?

16. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    A small, fury, four legged rodent ;)

17. Basswou

Basswou

Apr 15, 2001
    Belgium
  18. Try buying an Eventide GTR 4000. Set distortion through three signals. Have one signal producing a sound a perfect fifth above the root. This will give it the sound of a power chord without the mud. Or buy a Big Muff and run it through a pitch shifter and do the same. If that doesn't satisfy you, you had better just buy a 7 string guitar and stop trying to imitate a guitarist.

19. Why buy pedals ? Turn up the gain on your amp, turn up the volume on your amp and make sure the bass volume is up full. Then your speakers should distort :)

Stu

20. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    Yeah, that is all fine and good until your speakers fall apart. If you have the luxury of being able to take cardboard chunks out of your cab. and replace the speakers every so often, then go right ahead.