Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want that Sadowsky sound but don't have the Sadowsky money....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by soulbrother, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Hello people,

Last friday I traded my Lag 5 stringer for a 2001 Fender USA standard jazzbass (black, alder body, rosewood board). I immediately swapped the pick-ups with Seymour Duncan Antiquity II's. Unplugged, this bass has THE vibe, it plays REALLY nice, everything a jazz bass could be. Plugged in, nice Jaco like fingersound but the slaptone isn't really what I am looking for. If I want to go for the "jazzbass on steroids" Sadowsky sound, what kind of pick-ups do I have to use? I already have an outboard Sadowsky preamp. I was thinking of:
    * Dimarzio Ultrajazz
    * EMG's (with or without polepieces)
    * Sadowsky humcancelling J's
    * Aero type 1.
    I also want it to sound full and punchy played without the Sadowsky stomp box.

What is YOUR advice??

Thank you in advance.

2. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Ummm I would suggest the Sadowsky J's? :confused:

3. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    I will second the Sadowsky J's :)

4. It's pretty obvious that the Sadowsky sound for one part is in the Sad pups, the Sad pre helps a lot, too. I'm just curious what YOUR experiences are and what YOU can recommend. Thanks for the replies though.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

From picking up a couple of Sads, and from what I know from a couple of friends who own Sads, electronics are not the only "ingredient."

From what I know, Roger is VERY picky about the boards he uses and his suppliers, even though the wood species his company uses are quite common.

Then he puts those woods in the hands of skilled craftsmen who know how to use/"read" the woods best, instead of clueless production line employees who merely know how to run a band saw or a CNC machine.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I havent played a Sadowsky but I know I love the EMG VJ pickups.

Peace
    Nick

7. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I don't know how much Sadowsky J's cost, but if they're too much, I would recommend the DiMarzio Ultra jazz. :hyper: