Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want that sound!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ka_Ve_86, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Recenently i have been listening to alot of Gospel R&B, like Fred Hammond and the bass players tone is just amazing i want THAT!

Does anyone know what kind of basses these guys use?
    I have been looking at Spector's, And Laklands lately but i want that tone and that range?

Does anyone know?

And whats your thought on a spector compared to lakeland ?

2. I've seen pics of Fred H. w/a Ken Smith 6, & he was slappin' the I-don't-know-what out of it, and singing lead to 'Let the praise begin'. He has several basses, but I believe he usually has someone else play bass on the road- Maurice Fitzgerald(Roscoe player)was one, but that was awhile back. Fred cites Marcus Miller as an early influence which may help you nail that sound- that and a B-load of practice! ;)

3. Alot of MTD's and Ken Smiths.

4. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
  5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Ken Smith and older Tobias' are the basses of choice for "that sound" mostly. Lakelands have also become popular in the last year or two for players that like a bit more of funk to there sound, and I still see a fair amount of Cirrus and Fender Deluxe 5 players as well. In the last year or so I have seen some younger guys on less of a budget getting good results with Spectors, they seem to be the "poor man's Smith", if you will.....not hating here, this is a compliment believe it or not!!

6. QU!CK

QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    On the "Pages Of Life" album, a bassist named Terrance Palmer is playing (live) and Fred does the studio bass work.

From what I've read on these boards, Terrance was using a Peavey Cirrus...and slappin the devil out of it ;)! As already mentioned, Fred is listed on Ken Smiths website as being a "Smith" player, and I think Terrance is listed as also being a Smith player...

I want that "sound" as well...I'm having some problems getting it within my budget though (that plus being a lefty).

-J

7. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    I have an old Tobias, and while I love it, the sound he wants is Ken Smith. It's all about more fundamental, less overtones.

The Ken Smith is the ticket.

8. i would also like to add that a lot of gospel type players uses the modern sounding amps, like SWR and Eden, i know those are amps and this is the bass forum, but i think that those amps really give that gospel sound as well imo

9. Yes, it seems that Ken Smith has a big influence on Gospel, R & B players....
    Very good basses it seems, I want to try one a day and own one!

Vince

10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I see A LOT of Gospel R&B performances. Ken Smith is indeed popular, but most of the upper end, small shop stuff is being used. I have seen a bunch of MTD, Roscoe, etc.

But, as mentioned, it is also a lot about using a really nice, pro-grade SS amp setup.

I play my Q5 when we do contemporary stuff. I get that really deep, clean tone. I think it works very well for that style of music.