Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want the ampeg sound without the ampeg price!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TJBass, Sep 17, 2001.

1. I've got a Carvin R600 series II head and a Carvin 410 cab. But I love the sound of an ampeg head and cab. If it were not for the need to eat I would own ampeg, therefore my question is this: What can I do to get close to the ampeg tone? Is there a preamp I could run in front of the R600 head, or maybe use my Zoom BFX708 somehow to get the tone? Someday (clicking my heels together three times) I'll get another ampeg rig, but for now this is all I got, thanks in advance for any advice or help you guys can provide......

Jay

2. The Boss VF-1 has an Ampeg bass amp model in it. Along with tons (and I mean a huge b*ttload) of other stuff.

3. RED J

RED J I ain't ready for the junkyard yet. Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2000
    Tennessee
    You have a good amp, but want Ampeg tone....My suggestion is a Sansamp bass driver DI. I found myself in your shoes-already having a good rig but not "that tone" The Sans is the best 150-200$ you will ever spend in trying to get Ampeg tone from a non Ampeg amp. I have mine plugged into the effects return of my BXR 400 as a preamp, bypassing the amps own front end. Sounds good.I am happy. Will a 200$ box give you a SVT with 8x10 ? Nope.Will it give you 90% of that fat growly grindy tone you love for 1/10th the price ? Yes IMHO. YMMV Hope this helps.

Red J :D

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Buy used and you can easily afford Ampeg gear.

5. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I bought an svp-pro preamp for $290 bux and it sounds great , its worth a tryout.

6. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    basscentral has a new ampeg B2 (new)
    for $399...350W

7. yeah, definitely check out the SVP-Pro, players rave about that thing. i love my sansamp, and it sounds really badass, although i have not compared it to an actual SVT. it's worth trying, though.

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    The Sans Amp will get you fairly close to the Ampeg tone. In the little manual that comes with it, it even has an "SVT" setting in the suggested settings part.

9. kaseydilla

kaseydilla Guest

Sep 30, 2001
    New Orleans, LA
    I aggree with ThunderStik, go with the SVP-Pro. I use one in my rig with a Carvin DCM1000 and it has tone that kills. You can get the Ampeg sounds you want, and I picked up mine used for $200.