1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I want the brightness of a roundwound with the smoothness of a flatwound for my jazz

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassplayer1494, Nov 6, 2010.

1. i love my recently aquired '05 fender MIA Jazz bass. It has a nice growl to it when the tone knob is engaged but i dont like the feel of rounds. I love the sound but hate the feel. Now the d addario chromes on my schecter have a great feel but the sound isnt as punchy and growly as i would like it to be. Im looking for a set of strings that have a gage of .050-.100+ that are smooth and have a nice growl.

2. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Have you looked at half-round or compression wound strings? That is the point with them, though it's up to the user to determine whether they combine the best of both or achieve the best of neither.

3. k. ill look into it

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I want a plate of chicken wings with blue cheese, but I want them to have the same nutritional value as a sprig of broccoli. Let's see who gets theirs first :)

5. brandau

brandau

Jan 30, 2008
    NYC
    ghs black tapewounds... roundwound core, flat nylon wrapping. They're bright and feel smooth

6. jk3

jk3

Jul 25, 2007
    Chicago
    +1 on half rounds. i like them.

i've also tried ghs brite flats, which have much higher tension.

7. Sunbeams or Black Beauties (or new DR Neons).

8. jamesfgiles

jamesfgiles

Nov 6, 2010
    Try tape-wounds (I use them on my Warwick fretless) or half-wound D'Daddario (Iuse these on my '66 Fender for pit work). Both have benefits, but your bass is the final arbiter.

9. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Sadowsky flats. They are practically rounds in a flats disguise. Obviously, they aren't spot-on with the roundwound tone, but they are so, so close.

No joke.

10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Daddario would be among the smoothest sounding strings I know of. Not a fan of them because of that. I prefer the strings not take away from any of the basses & pups inherent crunch. Myself Ive never equated growl and smooth together per se. Crunchy voice seems to do growl better to me.

11. markanini

markanini

Jun 25, 2008
    Which strings do you like then, darkstorm?

12. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Yep!

13. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Half rounds feel worse than regular rounds IME. Far worse. Their tone sounds like dead rounds to me also. Not a good option.

Either go with fairly smooth rounds like Sunbeams, or try out the TI flats. TI's do not sound like a traditional flat. They are smooth like a flat (which they are) but have very low tension. Tension is lower than most of the rounds that I like.

Light weight chromes are my personal fav flat, but I am off the flat bandwagon for now.

14. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Black beauties, half round feel worse than rotosound rounds

15. rotosound flats.

16. I think either D'addario Chromes or Rotosound will fit what you are looking for.