Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want the perfect bass! ( for me... )

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Piedro, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    Hey Guys..
    i have a Stingray5 with Piezo, And a new Fender J-2 .. 4 string..
    I like the feel of my MM, i need my low-B, but i'm not that "in love" with his tone in recording.. and by her low B.. but still good for a 34..
    I'm totally in Love with my J bass, but i don't like that she have only 22.. like my MM...
    and i don't like the B string of the Jazz bass in general.. so...

I want a passive bass... with 5 string, scale of 35.. 24 frets, good for every kind of style!

( and i want to be in a perfect world ! and i don't want to pay taxes.. and i don't want war.. etc..etc..etc.. ;) )
    do you guys have an idea??

MTD 535.. is the kind of bass that i love.. but i never tried one.. i have a good feeling about them.. :D any other idea?
    (and scuze me if my english is strange sometimes.. i'm from Quebec...)

2. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Confrère montréalais,

si t'aimes ta fender, tu devrais checker les G&L, yen tiennent chez italmélodie en plus, chuis pas mal sûr qu'y'en font en 35", sauf je sais pas sur le nombre de frettes.

(for you english speakers out there, i just recommended G&Ls at a local store in montreal)

my 2 cents

3. Wasabi1264

Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    President: MusicDojo.com
    The MTD is a 35 scale with standard spacing, so it will feel very different than your StingRay 5. You may want to check with Mike Tobias and see if he'll make you one in a 34, as he did tell me once that he would do it, when I had to sell mine because the 35 scale was giving me physical problems

In addition, though, these are definitely not passive basses. It's a modern sounding bass...You honestly may want to consider an F, although you'll not get the 24 frets. It really captures the vintage thing well (and you can play it passive), but you have the modern thing at your disposal.

I have a StingRay 5, and I just ordered an F, and I can't wait. I'll never sell my StingRay, but I know the F will be my main bass for a while.

I also have a Nordstrand on order (and it will likely be a six string). You could also talk to Carey Nordstrand about making you a bass with your exact specs.

4. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Merci pour le conseil.. mais probablement que quand je vais décider d'investir.. j'irai dans une gamme supérieure... ( c'est plaisant de parler en francais.. ca libère! merci)

Thanks for the advice.. but i still want a modern sound and i think you can get it with passive pick-up? no?
    My teacher here, Sylvain Bolduc, have a bass from Pierre Laporte, a guitar and bass maker here in Montreal, she's passive with two soap bar, 24 frets, and 35 scale... he have the basse of my dreams! :crying:
    no.. it's just so nice to see good work from a bass-maker..

5. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Some 24 fret passive 5's that people around here seem to love:

-Dingwall Afterburner (yeah, it's a variable scale bass with the fanned fret system; 37" B, 34" G).

-MTD Kingston or Heir. Those are passive basses with 24 frets, 35" scale for a 5, and the Heir has a single coil and a humbucker.

Yeah, these basses are in different price points, but I was looking more for passive 5's than certain price points.

6. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Thanks, i haven't think of them..
    The dingwall is a cool bass.... i'm gonna search for more info...
    Maybe i should take other info about passive vs active bass...

7. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Ah et puis Phil Mastro.. je crois que les G&L sont plus du type 34'.. le fameux "fender scale"... et c'est vraiment le genre de bass a 22 frettes..
    ca ressemble beaucoup a MM en fait du au même "designer" et dans le feeling aussi.. mais je les ai jamais entendu en recording,.. c'est a essayer...