Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want the Tele bass sound...HELP

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Eilif, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Dimarzio model 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. NOS Fender

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  3. Gibson EBO

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Ric bridge PUp

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. SD Ric bridge PUp

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Having played several early 70's tele basses, and loving the tone, I am looking to give my MIM P a similar sound to the 70's tele basses. (Deep thuddy, acoustic and kind of muddy) Not the 50's style tele's basses, but the one humbucker in the neck style that they only made in the 70's (I think). I know I will have to route out the body near the neck and rewire, but here is the question....

What kind of pickup should I install?

Some Options

1.Dimarzio Model 1. Have heard good things about this one.
    2.NOS Fender pickup. I think that Subway instruments might have these.
    3.Gibson EBO pickup usually availabe used.
    4.Ric bridge positon pickup
    5.SD Ric bridge replacement

I would totaly appreciate any help you folks could provide as to these pickups
    Thanks

2. Either one of these will work great for that Tele sound!

You might check on Ebay for the original Tele humbucker, that would be your best bet!

http://www.riograndepickups.com/5.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

if i remember right, fender had the guy(s?) who did the gibson eb-0 pickups on board at fmic for a short time, and he(they) designed those.

4. Although the Gibson pickup and the Fender pickup look the same the Fender looks like it is actually a split coil and if you are patient you will be able to find one on Ebay (I saw an NOS Fender Telecaster Bass pickup a few weeks ago as a matter of fact).