i want the tone of a fart.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by downstairs, Jan 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    yeah, i heard this type of bass tone from 2 bands, and i'd like to acheive it. The best way i can explain it was the bass would sound kinda growly/farty sound, i looked at their EQ's, one had a newer ampeg, with the first and last bands just barely boosted, the 2nd time i heard it, there was a rap-metal band, and the bassist had a very scooped mid EQ.
  2. warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Make sure your speaker is blowen out, crant the most bass out of it as you can and then ajust the gain till it farts.....very crappy tone IMO.
  3. Jack Bruce got a great fart tone from a Gibson EB-3 short-scale bass with really light flatwound strings, running into a dimed Marshall Plexi guitar head and matching 4x12 cabinet.

If that's your bag.
  4. SlowRiot

Jan 5, 2002
    i can do that....on my transistor 20W anyway, i think it has to be quite a small amp and transistor.

What u do is, if you have a humbucker turn that one up to full, turn volume on bass up to full, cut the treble on your bass, turn up the bass and low mid on your amp and turn the rest right down, and there u go :cool:
  5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    What SlowRiot said, plus:

Turn the preamp gain up all the way (make sure you start with the master all the way down). Whether tubes or not you want some breaking up of the signal.

Although, I've found that an overdriven tube gives you juicier farts.......
  6. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    is this a similiar sound to the brown note from southpark. I want my bass to able to do that too. Common who wouldnt want to see everyone poo themselves as soon as u played a note. Jk/ anyway um yea the blown speaker thing is about the best i can think of, doesn't sound like a desired effect for most bassists.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Seems to me that the fahty tone is rich in mid, not "scooped."
  8. 12Toes

Apr 19, 2001
    Lexington, KY
    I jammed with my old 5th grade jam buddies (I'm 33) and we still have my first bass amp, a peavey tnt 100. Some times I plug it in just cause it's there. It's 45 watts rms on a good day. It has a new carvin 15' and overdriven, one gets a very flatulitic sound indeed. For the refined ear only of course.

What's weird is that it's kind of a cool, tacky tone that thankfully can't be reproduced with a modern amp.

Just for the record, I think I blew the carvin after two or so hours of very loud, small studio jamming. Not sure though, my ears were ringing too much to tell.
  9. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    My fretless gets farty if you boost the mid all the way up. Are you talkin about say a garry willis tone or a sean malone tone (the worst fart sound is that band Spiral Archetect)? I think that tone sticks out in a band mix the best. But some people find the "fartty fretless" tone extreamly annoying. I don't however....
  10. I'm listening to Make Yourself right now, and Dirk Lance gets a pretty farty tone on "Battlestar Scralatchtica" with a Streamer Stage II, a fuzz, and what sounds like a whole ton of compression.

Fuzz, compression, and midrange are the keys to good fart tone, really.
  11. Try eating a tin of beans, that should do the trick.
    (hay, someone HAD to say it):D :rolleyes:
  12. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Why not pull a Ray Davies and slit your speaker cones with a razor blade?
  13. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    1) Buy a sampler
    2) Buy a microphone
    3) Place the microphone into the sampler
    4) Place the microophone in your anal cavity
    5) Learn to use the sampler efficiently enough to alter the notes your playing the fart of.
    6) Embrace yourself, you've just accomplished "the tone of a fart."
    7) "the tone of a fart" kind of reminds me of a bad karate movie, where the mouths don't sync up to the talking.
  14. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    If he places the microphone in his anus, he won't be able to fart. In order for the fart to sound properly, the buttocks must be shut so that they can flap against the expelled gas. If you have a mike up there, all you'll get is a "pssshhht" sound.
  15. <font face=courier>I actually laughed out loud when I read some of your replies guys.

**wipes away tear**

Anyways, low mids are key, along with low end.

16. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    What stinks in here?.....
  17. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Farty? sounds like a 100-200 Fq range to me. add in around some 1.5. and your cooking with fire.
  18. i cant believe this thread is still floating around...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.