1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I want to a buy a bass and my girlfriend said

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Mantis Tobaggan, Apr 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    it's cool as long as I spend at least that much on her engagement ring... she picked one out that is almost twice as much :greedy:

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    Get two basses, or get one that's more expensive.
    I'm reminded of when I wanted a 5.1 Surround Sound Blu-Ray player (+ all 5 speakers & sub) & the mrs. said sure, as long as I bought an air conditioner.
    It made total sense, since I could sit & watch my movies with the great sound & in the cool. (It can get up to 40 Celsius there)

3. Dean N

Dean N Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    south-park-s06e02c15-butters-gets-in-trouble-16x9.

4. TheMinutemen

TheMinutemen Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Its nice when they let us spend our own money. :)

Jonithen, nixdad, tekhedd and 43 others like this.
  5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    My last GF put the brakes on our relationship when she started insisting that I make her car payments for her. I had already been paying for everything else for a year.

6. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    in light of the fact that the kenmore stove cost over 2k and the 85 g&l lynx cost $412 there wasn't too much conflict

7. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Let me be at least the 100th person to congratulate you both...

... it will be a touching moment when the two of you reach a 'big day' compromise, where your AVRI '63 P walks the bride-to-be down the aisle...

... remember, Manti... you're marrying the one in the gown.

Good luck, my friend!

AdamX, sigmafloyd, BBQisgood and 13 others like this.
  8. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab

Nov 28, 2016
    A couple years ago, I bought two basses at the same time - roughly $3k. At the same time, "we" had the kitchen remodeled for $65k.

So...

As you can see...

It all evens out!

9. lowplaces

lowplaces Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    She got ya when she said "at least" !

As long as she has more rings then you have basses though, you have an Ace in the Hole.

When you find another bass you want and she says " why do you need so many basses ? " you could come back with " why do you need so many rings ?" :smug:

10. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    So your shopping custom Lull or Sadowsky?

11. Rumble Thunder

Rumble Thunder

Aug 5, 2016
    Kentucky
    Wait till you have three kids:bored:

12. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I offered Manti my Saga MB-10 build for $500... :D:roflmao::D:roflmao::D:roflmao:... which would have kept the ring around $1K...

... and all I could hear was his future fiance laughing...

13. Get out now and buy more basses.

14. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    My wife couldn't believe the price of diamonds, once she learned how much they were. Then she realized all my bass gear is still probably less than her ring. She became quite understanding after that revelation.

15. ZenG

ZenG

Dec 13, 2013
    Near the fridge
    I thought it was all part of the wedding vows for a woman...

You know..where it says " Do you (name) take this man to be your lawful wedded husband..through bass purchases and pedals.. through cabinets and amps..through late nights on TalkBass...for better or worse?"

16. Madhouse27

Madhouse27

Sep 19, 2016
    You could get a Squier sticker for your new Fender.

dnp41, DavC, Deak and 4 others like this.
  17. beatnut

beatnut

Sep 27, 2016
    Western Mass
    I see what you did there

18. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    Mate, Idk ya. but I'll tell you what I tell my brothers, I'm going to be ass on this one, it happy wife, happy life, but not go into debt and struggle for years. if you can't afford the ring. buy the bass you want. and get a lesser ring then after you been together a bit upgrade the ring. there are companies that will get you the a ring with a lesser diamond the upgrade the stone later or shop around and get better deal on the same type of ring.. if you guys are starting out put the money into a starter house. build your life together. weddings and honey moons last a few minutes and two weeks. I wish you all the best in the world. it doesn't take a lot of money to create memories. and your father in law will love you forever. lol.. DIY WEDDINGS are in thing anyway. and if you do it together. you'll know how much you are spending. lol thus have control and less debt. lol

19. red_rhino

red_rhino Gold Supporting Member

Wait... you have a girlfriend? ;)

20. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Wifey has no use for jewelry. She's got a pile of gold coins in assorted sizes and some cut stones, but no jewelry.

As for my stuff, i get monthly mad money and i earn a little all along so most of my wants are easily covered. If i'm short i can borrow out of the house account but it must be paid back.

Michael Schreiber likes this.