1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I want to add pickups to a J - J/P/J or J/MM/J?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Caramthros, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Caramthros

Caramthros

May 26, 2012
    I'm looking to add some extra cheap pickups to my cheap jazz to give more versatility. I play a lot of Iron maiden, Tool etc and so I was thinking about P but then MM is another option.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what style to add and if possible spacings?

Plan was to add in either J/P/J or J/MM/J and either have a 3 position (J only, J+P/MM and P/MM only) or go the whole way and do the 5 way strat style selector.

Also keep in mind that I want to keep cost to a minimum and I will only buy cheap pickup(s) as this is going on a £125 bass

Thanks

2. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    Same project. Sub'd.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    "versatility" doesn't come from randomly cramming more pickups in there, especially more "cheap" ones.

just put good jazz pickups (of whatever kind) in there and it'll do everything you'd ever need.

4. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    If it were me, I'd get a cheap four-conductor MM pickup and wire it in series. The big, fat, meaty tone from that should provide a nice contrast to the more polite J pickups.

One step further would be to include a mini-switch for the MM to do series/parallel (or series/parallel/single with an on-on-on mini-switch).

5. Caramthros

Caramthros

May 26, 2012
    I know if I really want good tone and everything to add good pickups, trouble is they cost money which I don't really have. Cheap ones should do for my needs (just playing as a hobby). Once I get a job/PhD position I will buy a decent bass but for now just looking to play around with the one I have

I've currently got my jazz with a series/parallel switch, along with master volume (blend didn't work so well) and a killswitch with LED indicator

6. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    Sounds like what you want is a Godin Shifter. Doesn't sound like you are in a position to buy one right now but you could copy it, I suppose. I'd just put another J up by the neck, but then what I would really do is to start saving for a Shifter and play what I have in the mean time....

Ken

7. Caramthros

Caramthros

May 26, 2012
    Does look pretty good. I was just thinking that maybe adding a second set would add a different sound and maybe get a two-in-one type thing.

8. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

Have you added a series/ parallel switch? No-load tone pot? Phase switch?

There are a few cheaper options right there than some cheap pickups that will end up being a better investment, so you can save up for a better bass.

If anything, do those mods first then consider putting in higher quality pickups.

9. Caramthros

Caramthros

May 26, 2012
    I've done the series/parallel, going to add a multi cap pot setup with bypass. Don't know what a phase switch is even though I've heard of it a few times.

I'll probs leave the pickups either for another time or just leave it and wait to buy a better bass.

10. Caramthros

Caramthros

May 26, 2012
    Okay, found a diagram for the phase switch, but how would I add that to the series/parallel?

11. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    you don't want a phase-reverse switch for bass!

it just sounds thin and weak, like your amp is broken.

12. Caramthros

Caramthros

May 26, 2012
    I'd like to try it. Would probably work for one of my favorite songs. Been using the series/parallel on this which is close enough.

Part of the trouble is about getting the highs is I have a 325W 15" Ashdown ABM EVO II combo. One day in the distant future when I have a job and money I'll buy a 2x10" or a 4x10" with a tweeter.

13. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    out-of-phase for justin chancellor? not even close. he actually sounds good.

and it's nothing like series/parallel switching.

14. Caramthros

Caramthros

May 26, 2012
    I know its not but I might give it a go for the 5 mins it takes to do it.

While we are on the subject of Justin Chancellor, any ideas on how to get that sound? Even with my EQ up full from mid to treble (4 on the ABM) and tone all the way up etc still can't quite get it right. Might be that he uses a bass that costs 20 times the price of mine etc.

15. I've got a bass with an MM pickup between two single coil jazz pickups, it squeezed in nicely and I have each pickup set (MM and JJ) wires to a 3 way switch then into either side of a blend pot. This set up means I can have the jazz pickups solo or together in parallel how I want them on one side of blend control and the MM pickup either series or either coil single on the other side. This means I can swing from a burpy jazz bridge sound to a thick MM series tone with one turn of the blend pot and it allows me to blend either coil of the MM with either jazz pickup to form parallel humbuckers in various positions: e.g neck jazz bass+neck MM coil = neck humbucker, bridge jazz+bridhe MM coil = bridge humbucker etc...

I hope this makes sense, I've found it a good setup but only if your strings are fresh and dead strings tend to dampen the difference between the pickups sound and jazz pickups in series sound close to MM in series so maybe not worth your while if you've got series/parallel for jazz already.

p.s steer clear of phase switching,, it just sounds bad

16. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    A Wal bass? I get a similar tone from my basses with the treble cranked on the onboard preamp. You need an active bass to get that brightness.

Wal basses have low pass filters which have a resonance boost, so you can use them sort of like a parametric EQ and boost the high end.

Oh and a brand new set of round wounds.

!

17. Caramthros

Caramthros

May 26, 2012
    Had a feeling that passive wasn't enough. To get the high end, it would work if I shove in a para EQ before the ABM EQ and boost the highs right?

Strings are a definite but no cash and as I put DR nickel lo-riders on a short while back they are still doing okay.

That vid has just added christ knows how much to the already mental list of all bass things I wish to acquire in the future. But cheers, few things I could pick up from there and poss do sometime soon.

18. kenbass

kenbass

Aug 8, 2011
    Here is what ive done to my bass
    I make it passive
    3vol and 1 tone

1zc01tf.

sc427l.

19. Caramthros

Caramthros

May 26, 2012
    That is exactly what I was thinking of doing. Below is what I have currently, although that is all soon to change.

I've currently got a the normal 2 vol 1 tone, but I've added master volume (blend switch reduced volume too much), series parallel switch and killswitch with LED indicator.
    Will be master and 2 vol, 6 tone cap switch with bypass switch (all LED indicated), along with switchable onboard or foot series parallel and killswitch with LEDS. Oh and also dual outputs and possibly vol pot resistance switching.

Its going to be mad

Attached Files: