Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want to be a luthier / guitar repairman

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lo-end, Feb 17, 2006.

1. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I already have a basic understanding of what guitar repair guys do. I've been setting up my bass and my friends' instruments for years now. How do you become a luthier? I'm not trying to open my own shop or build my own guitars but I want to have a job working on guitars/basses at a local music store or a place like Sam Ash or Guitar Center. Can anyone give me any information on where to start? Do I need to go to school or get an apprenticeship with someone?

2. A good start might be to go to a store that has guitar techs and ask them how to go about getting started. You never know you might get offered a job!

All the best in your quest. We all need repair guys!

3. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Doesnt anyone here have a friend in the business?

4. Hutton has a great suggestion...why not talk to your local stores?
    and it probably wouldn't hurt to take a few classes in Luthiery, as documentation never hurts to prove you know what you are doing, similar to a college degree

5. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Hmmm...why did I not ever think of this myself? In the area where I live there is nobody doing this. I'm always at the store and they do it, but the owner is afreind of mine and he dosn't really like to do it. I also see how many people come in asking for set up and such. I can't tell you how many people come in just ta have their strings changed. Does anybody see that? Something so basic, I take for granted I guess.

6. They have schools for such endeavors around the country - Phoenix AZ has the Robert Venn School of Luthiery; check it out at http://www.roberto-venn.com/.

To warn you it's not cheap. Tuition isn't too bad but you have to pay for supplies and tools. Regardless, I have heard great things about the school.