1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I want to be a luthier / guitar repairman

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lo-end, Feb 17, 2006.

1. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I already have a basic understanding of what guitar repair guys do. I've been setting up my bass and my friends' instruments for years now. How do you become a luthier? I'm not trying to open my own shop or build my own guitars but I want to have a job working on guitars/basses at a local music store or a place like Sam Ash or Guitar Center. Can anyone give me any information on where to start? Do I need to go to school or get an apprenticeship with someone?

2. A good start might be to go to a store that has guitar techs and ask them how to go about getting started. You never know you might get offered a job!

All the best in your quest. We all need repair guys!

3. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Doesnt anyone here have a friend in the business?

4. Hutton has a great suggestion...why not talk to your local stores?
    and it probably wouldn't hurt to take a few classes in Luthiery, as documentation never hurts to prove you know what you are doing, similar to a college degree

5. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Hmmm...why did I not ever think of this myself? In the area where I live there is nobody doing this. I'm always at the store and they do it, but the owner is afreind of mine and he dosn't really like to do it. I also see how many people come in asking for set up and such. I can't tell you how many people come in just ta have their strings changed. Does anybody see that? Something so basic, I take for granted I guess.

6. They have schools for such endeavors around the country - Phoenix AZ has the Robert Venn School of Luthiery; check it out at http://www.roberto-venn.com/.

To warn you it's not cheap. Tuition isn't too bad but you have to pay for supplies and tools. Regardless, I have heard great things about the school.