I want to be a metal guitarist...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    ... chill chill, I still want to be a bassist first and foremost. But I've got this idea in my head for a band that's driving me nuts, and I need a metal guitarist who is open minded to the idea. Ha, yeah right.

I don't even know if it would work well. Funk rhythm section + death metal guitar = hmmm... weird.

But also, I've wanted to be a metal guitarist ever since I first heard Megadeth's countdown to extinction album. I became obsessed with megadeth, bought all their albums... but then picked up bass. No good reason... I don't know why I picked up bass, but I'm glad I did. But my love of metal guitar subsided and I became interested in Primus... and so on.

But now, I'm getting into metal again and this band idea came up. And to be generic: Metal guitar is cool.

Any advice, other than getting a teacher. I don't want to be Steve Vai or Ynigvie... so I can't spell his name... damn Sweeds (It's OK, I'm like 90% sweedish ;) )

Metal guitarists that interest me:

Dave Mustaine (obviously)
    Tommy Victor (Prong)
    Jack Owen (Cannibal Corpse)

Though he's not metal (well he was) Ler's abstract playing with Primus is very cool too.
  2. Not to crush your metal guitar dreams, as I say go for it and good luck! Seriously, please don't read this the wrong way, but.....

Funky Rhythm Section+Speed Metal Guitar= PRAXIS

PRAXIS= Bootsy Collings, Bernie Worrell, Buckethead and tons more. Check it out for inspiration!!! (I think you can get Mutatus Mutandus (album name) on Axiom records. The other two worth checking out are Sacrifist and Metatron.
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    That sounds cool. I'll definatly check it out. I didn't think I was being original. Everything has been done. I was listening to some Cannibal Corpse and some of that stuff breaks down into some heavy grooves. When it isn't all snare snare snare snaresnaresnaresnaresnare... and the drummer backs off and plays behind the beat, it sounds damn awesome. Throw a envelope filter on the bass and play some funky stuff... ohhh yeah. :)
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Three tips. Get;

> So much ink that your skin is barely visible

> Get a detuned 7-string and a 400W Marshall

> Go to the Tripp Eisen "School of Fashion" -

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Here's another idea. Subscribe to "Guitar World" magazine. When I was in heavy metal bands I subscribed to both that and "Guitar for the Practcing Musician." I don't know if that one still exists, but Guitar World does. It also has a web site.

The reason I suggest this is that I learned so much from that magazine because it is primarily heavy metal and some punk. It's articles interview the leading guitarist in that genre and go into great detail about their instruments and stage rigs, how they write their music, how they started out, and other very useful information.

Also every month it has an assortment of transcriptions in both standard notation and tab. That helps you see how the best liked songs of the moment are constructed.

With all the advice, you can save a lot of time and effort by learning from the pros, especially those who come closest to the sound you wish to achieve.

I wish you luck in this new endeavor. It make take awhile to achieve, but don't give up at the first adversity. Maybe one day, you, too, will be featured in Guitar World, maybe even on the cover.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    bop, you're so cool :)
  7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks

Yeah! I'll second that! Also worth checking out: Slipknot's first CD (Mate. Feed. Kill. Repeat.). It's funk death metal. And funny.
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey, at least he's rocking the semi-hollow 6er.
  9. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Get an Infectious Grooves cd. Awesome metal funk. Ozzy sings backup on Therapy.

"Where is my hair stylist? I need a hair stylist!"
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

"I sang for Aquaduct Pocket, I sang for Relaxed Atmosphere. I sang for Third World Lover, have you heard of them?!?!?"
  11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    The reason Boplicity is so cool is that she always answers the question thoughtfully and with no hint of anything other than trying to be helpful. ...That and her advice is superlative! A rare gem, I say!
  12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    T.M. Stevens plays Heavy Metal Funk...it works just fine....wonderfully actually.

His first solo CD "Boom" released in '95 is a better example IMO than the more available Shocka-Zooloo.

I don't think a Funky rhythm section would work well behing Yngwie...nor would he allow it I'm sure...

I have a couple Buckethead CDs somewhere...T.M. is easier to listen to...and his CDs are less expensive too...

Have fun with those tiny little strings...
  13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ha yeah, I like how the Infectious Grooves got Ozzy to sing on their album and all he does is go "Theeraaaaaapyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" a couple of times. I dig them so much more than their suicidal tendancies stuff. I heard old Slipknot is pretty good... worth checking out for inspiration.

I guess I will have to start looking cool if I'm a guitarist ;)
  14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    That and she's had worlds of experience with a very wide range of all things musical.

And she played in a metal band(s) :D